How do I change my backup location?

Options
jimpal
jimpal
Community Member

I have just installed 1Password 7. As part of the setup I inadvertently selected Dropbox as a local backup (as I had previously on 1Password 6). I understand I may use iCloud instead if I wish. How do I make this change?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I change my backup location?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jimpal! Neither Dropbox nor iCloud are backups, they are sync services. You can switch between them in the 1Password > Preferences > Sync tab. Set the drop-down menu from Dropbox to iCloud.

• jimpal
    jimpal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but makes me wonder why I should use either Dropbox or iCloud to sync, when 1Password 7 does it for me automatically online. Is there an advantage to using those two?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpal - if you have a 1Password account/membership, then yes, your data is synced automatically via the 1Password.com servers and there's no need to do anything else -- and in fact, no ability to switch to Dropbox or iCloud. If you have vaults for which Dropbox or iCloud is a sync option, that means you still have standalone vaults installed -- and you shouldn't, if you've switched to a 1password.com membership. Can you do this for me? Click 1Password > Preferences > Vaults and see: how many vaults are there, and what are their names? If you still have a vault called "Primary," then you've still got standalone vaults (well, at least that one). Let me know what you discover.

• jimpal
    jimpal
    Community Member
    Options

I did what you requested, and found a vault named "James Palmer," and a sub-listing of "Personal." That's all. I appreciate your help and look forward to your conclusion about whether all is in order for me. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpal - then that's a 1Password account, yes, and your data is being synced automatically via the 1Password.com servers. You don't need (and can't use) iCloud or Dropbox or any other sync method with a 1Password account. Does that cover everything? Let us know if you have additional questions or issues.

• jimpal
    jimpal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your good help. I have used 1Password through 6 for years, but am just now changing to 1Password 7, and am trying to learn it as well as I think I did the previous ones. Nothing more needed now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpal - sounds good! Our support pages are an excellent resource for "how-to" stuff, if you're not sure about some of the new features. Most of it will be familiar to you as a user of 1Password 6 for Mac -- but if you ever get stuck, we're here if you need us. Have a great rest of your day! :)

This discussion has been closed.