To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading to 1password 7

flight23
flight23
Community Member

I have 1password 6 installed on 3 separate macs each with their own license. On 2 of the macs, I purchased a license before March 27, 2018. On my MacBook Pro, I purchased on September 9, 2018.

iMac 5k - version 6.8.8
MacMini 2014 - version 6.8.9
Macbook Pro 2018 with touchbar - version 6.8.9 (purchased September 9, 2018)

How do I go about upgrading to 1Password 7? From what I understand, my license for my MacBook Pro qualifies for a free 1Password upgrade? Also, I was reading on one of the support pages that a $20 credit is available for upgrading?

I appreciate any help with detailed steps. I am no longer able to use the 1Password 6 extension in Safari which has become a real inconvenience.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 and 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @flight23

I'd be happy to help. Are you the only person using 1Password on these Macs? Any licenses purchased on or after March 27th, 2018 are automatically valid for 1Password 7. If you are the only person using 1Password on these Macs that one license should do the trick. That said, 1Password membership (rather than licensing) is the way forward.

We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Our team would be happy to help out with upgrading to a 1Password membership, if you opt to go that route. Please reach out at sales@1password.com and include copies of any receipts for license purchases that you have.

If you do end up needing more than the one license, and you'd prefer to stick with licenses, you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I appreciate your help. Technically, I'm need to buy for 2 people where my mother's computer is the Mac Mini and I own/use the iMac 5k and Macbook Pro. Therefore, would the family plan membership be the most cost effective for our devices when it comes to multiple users? Also, is there a discount I can take advantage of when upgrading to version 7? I think I may want to go the membership route. Also, I'm hoping the migration of data is an easy/seamless process when it comes to syncing. Right now, we sync with our free Dropbox account.

• @flight23

Hi Ben, I appreciate your help. Technically, I'm need to buy for 2 people where my mother's computer is the Mac Mini and I own/use the iMac 5k and Macbook Pro. Therefore, would the family plan membership be the most cost effective for our devices when it comes to multiple users? Also, is there a discount I can take advantage of when upgrading to version 7? I think I may want to go the membership route. Also, I'm hoping the migration of data is an easy/seamless process when it comes to syncing. Right now, we sync with our free Dropbox account.

Gotcha. Especially in that case I would recommend 1Password Families. I think that would not only be more cost effective but would also offer you some features you wouldn't get with a license. As far as a discount, I'm not aware of anything that is publicly advertised right now, but again I'd encourage you to reach out to our team at sales@1password.com with copies of your receipts for licenses to see what they can do for you. They sometimes have some flexibility in what they can offer, even if there isn't currently a promotion running.

Migration should be fairly straight forward. I'd recommend signing up for the membership through the website, printing your Emergency Kit which will be presented to you at the end of that process, and then downloading the 1Password 7 app from our website. The app will take you through the rest. Once you are set up you can invite your mother to join the membership with you:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

She'll get her own credentials (and corresponding Emergency Kit).

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• flight23
    flight23
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I have successfully installed 1password 7 on two of my macs (iMac and MacBook Pro) and synced the Private vault from my family membership to my iPhone app and both Macs. I'm 99.9% sure that everything is working and syncing properly although I have a few questions before I move forward with installing on my mother's Mac Mini and start deleting the vault and app for 1password 6.

1) My family membership shows 2 vaults - Private and Shared. It appears that the Private Vault is where my old 1Password 6 Vault got copied to and is now syncing with both my macs and iPhone. The "Shared" vault in my Families membership is currently empty. Is this normal where I don't need to do anything else as far as syncing to the proper online vault?

2) How do I delete 1Password 6 and it's vault? The vault resides in my Dropbox account. Not sure if there's a specific process I need to go through.

3) On my iMac, I still show the old 1Password 6 mini icon in my top menu bar. How do I remove?

4) I have Google Chrome and the Firefox browsers installed on my macs. I removed the 1password extensions from these browser and reinstalled them. through 1password.com How do I know these extensions are syncing with 1Password 7 and not with 1Password 6?

5) In order to get my mother's 1password account going, I'm assuming I just need to send her an invitation through my online Families account? If so, will it allow me to upload her vault to my Families membership / sync with her iPhone?

• @flight23

1) My family membership shows 2 vaults - Private and Shared. It appears that the Private Vault is where my old 1Password 6 Vault got copied to and is now syncing with both my macs and iPhone. The "Shared" vault in my Families membership is currently empty. Is this normal where I don't need to do anything else as far as syncing to the proper online vault?

Correct.

2) How do I delete 1Password 6 and it's vault? The vault resides in my Dropbox account. Not sure if there's a specific process I need to go through.

1Password 6 should've been zipped up automatically as part of the 1Password 7 installation process. They shouldn't both be installed at the same time, as they'll conflict. You should be able to drag the 1Password 6 app/zip to the Trash and then empty the Trash. Likewise the Primary vault should've been deleted from 1Password as part of the migration process. If that didn't happen you can delete it using these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

3) On my iMac, I still show the old 1Password 6 mini icon in my top menu bar. How do I remove?

Did you unzip 1Password 6 after installing 1Password 7? You may need to open Activity Monitor (you can find it with Spotlight) and use it to completely quit 1Password 6. Then drag it to the Trash and empty the Trash.

4) I have Google Chrome and the Firefox browsers installed on my macs. I removed the 1password extensions from these browser and reinstalled them. through 1password.com How do I know these extensions are syncing with 1Password 7 and not with 1Password 6?

You can add a new Login item from within the 1Password 7 app and make sure appears in the extensions.

5) In order to get my mother's 1password account going, I'm assuming I just need to send her an invitation through my online Families account? If so, will it allow me to upload her vault to my Families membership / sync with her iPhone?

Exactly. This guide explains the steps: https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/ :)

Please let me know if you have any trouble with any of that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.