Significant browser extension delays

Had a look around and found lots of performance-related posts but not one that looked the same as this, but sorry if I've missed one.

I'm experiencing massive delays when opening 1Password with the "classic" browser extension. The delay to the search/suggestions box popping up has been getting progressively longer over the last couple of months, especially over the last few weeks, to the point where it's taking upwards of two minutes to open. Key info is:

• I'm on the latest version of Chrome, the 1P extension, and the 1P desktop app, but it's been happening for a few minor/patch versions of everything
  • It happens on Mac and Windows and on multiple internet connections, but is worse on Windows. I use it on Android and that's fine.
  • There seems to be no pattern between when I used it last, whether 1P is locked or unlocked, and the delay
  • I've reinstalled the extension and desktop app, and tried it in a fresh browser profile with no other plugins, no change
  • I have three vaults - one disabled for searches when using "all vaults" - with a total of ~400 items, but the performance was perfectly fine when I had a similar number a few months ago
  • I'm using 1Password.com for sync
  • I have a few other browser plugins and none exhibit similar behaviour in either system I regularly use (one Mac, one Windows)

As the extension is completely unusable I've gone back to copy+paste from the desktop app or 1PasswordX where I can use it. I can't use 1PasswordX in some cases so that's not a solution for me.

Is this a known issue? What can I do to provide more useful diagnostics?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:slow

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@molotovmoose: Thanks for getting in touch! Our Mac and Windows apps are not related in terms of their code, so it's surprising to me that you'd be having a similar issue with both. Three questions: What are the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using? What data format and sync method are you using: 1Password account, AgileKeychain, OPVault, Dropbox, etc? And what are the situations where 1Password X isn't an option for you? Thanks in advance!

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @brenty. Apologies for not being explicit but the issue doesn't happen with the 1Password desktop app at all - only from the browser using the plugin. Once the suggestions menu pops up the instant search is fine, but then when an entry is clicked it takes a long time again to actually fill the form fields. It's like any interaction between browser plugin and desktop app is taking an age, but all other performance is fine.

Current versions - although as mentioned above this has been happening through a few browser and plugin updates - are:
    Chrome is 76.0.3809.132
    Plugin is 4.7.5.90

• Hey @molotovmoose — Brenty asked, and I'm also curious: what are the situations where 1Password X isn't an option for you?

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Hi, the situations are:

On one system I still need to access a local vault that is shared via Google Drive.

The other is more convenience than an absolute. I can unlock 1Password with fingerprint, and the speed of unlocking means it's still practical to have a long master passphrase and a short lock timeout (and have it lock with the OS) on my work system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@molotovmoose: Ah, thanks for clarifying. Technically though, when using the companion 1Password extension for the desktop app, the desktop app is what's doing everything -- including the UI. It's certainly possible for the browser itself to have an effect on performance though, so make sure you check for and complete any updates in Chrome (version 77 is current), and try a new profile there:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

See if that makes a difference. Some folks just use a lot of extensions, all of which are loaded into memory for each window/tab, so that can have an impact. But a clean profile can also help if something is simply damaged in the old one. I don't have high hopes of that making a huge impact, but you never know, and it's good to eliminate different factors.

Next, are you using 1Password account vaults, local vaults (OPVault or AgileKeychain), or some combination? And how many? That's where we see the largest impact on performance since 1Password is processing data on the fly in order to function as you expect: analyzing web pages, searching for and displaying items, decrypting data to fill, encrypting data to save, etc. Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@molotovmoose: Just seeing your last post now. While it is currently only available as a beta on the Mac, we're working on integration between 1Password X and the desktop app. So that may be something that helps in the future, and you're welcome to try it now as well if you wish (though the Google Drive thing sounds like a potential blocker).

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, yeah I'd tried a clean Chrome profile right off the bat but sadly made no difference.

Vault-wise I have:
    The local one on Google Drive with a handful of items
    3x 1Password vaults with ~300, ~100, and ~50 entries. If it makes any difference, the one with ~100 is not shown in "All Vaults", and none of the vaults have any large files stored or anything funky - just online logins, a few secure notes, a few passwords.

I hadn't seen the 1Password X beta announcement, that's great, I'll give it a try.

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Quick update...

I installed the beta desktop app and plugin, and the integration section in the settings detected the desktop app and said it's connected, so all looks good. However, when I click on the 1P plugin icon in Chrome to search entries it's just spinning on "Connecting to 1Password for Mac". Same thing happens with a new clean user profile.

I have only tested on my Mac so far but I can't believe this isn't related to the Chrome installation, something it's synching, or something that's been left behind with a quick reinstall. It's odd that it also affects a clean profile but I can't imagine it's not something to do with my system! I'll do some more investigation my end.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@molotovmoose:

After installing 1Password X Beta, have you upgraded to 1Password 7 Beta for Mac too?

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, I did yes. To get a clean run at testing this I uninstalled Chrome and deleted all the cache and settings from ~/Library/. After a fresh install of Chrome (77.0.3865.90) I installed the 1Password X Beta plugin (1.17.1) and disabled the default Google apps and extensions so 1PX is the only extension. I'm not logged into Chrome/Google so no profile or other sync'd data is present.

After logging into the 1PX plugin and going to settings and enabling "Integrate with 1Password for Mac" it connected:

However this is what I still get when I click the 1P icon on the taskbar (and in form fields it just does nothing):

Any suggestions for getting relevant diagnostic info?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@molotovmoose: Which version of 1Password for Mac do you have now, and do you have only the same 1Password account(s) setup there and in 1Password X?

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member

Version is: 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002). I only have this one account signed in yes; I changed the email address associated with it a while ago - anything worth doing to rule that out?

• @molotovmoose can you try a quick toggle of the button for Integrate with 1Password for Mac? If that doesn't help, can you

• Quit your browser
    • Open 1Password
    • Quit 1Password completely (Control-Option-Command-Q)
    • Open and unlock 1Password
    • Open your browser

Is 1Password X unlocked at this point?

• molotovmoose
    molotovmoose
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hi @ag_michaelc, that is exactly the process I'd gone through during my testing and that's where it'd show it was sitting at the "connecting to...", however doing it again this morning it is working correctly.

I applied the macOS 10.14.6 update yesterday so whatever that and the subsequent reboot did obviously fixed something. A reboot hadn't worked on 10.14.5 though so I don't know if it helps us much with a root cause.

For what it's worth, now the 1PasswordX plugin is working and integrating with the desktop app the user experience is really nice - good work :)

Thanks for your help.

• I'm glad to hear it's working now, @molotovmoose! Keep us in the loop if things go wrong again (as I'm sure you will :smile:). I'm so thrilled to hear you're enjoying Desktop App Integration now that it's working for you — I can't wait till this thing hits stable! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.