Running the MAS v of 1P and the betas :)

thightower
thightower
Community Member
I know some folks will not want to do the following as it will incur costs etc and the team has yet to decide on the beta positions access etc.

But I was thinking the new version of parallels allows for the virtualization of Lion, so I am thinking I can run a sandboxed version of Lion in a VM where I can do all my testing of any and all apps before the hit my primary OS. This should allow me to really keep my system squeaky clean as I desire.

Lion continues to impress me along with the changes. Now I will be able to try to run my developer seeds in a VM. I have yet to try this has anyone else tried it ? May or may not be possible just speculation on the Developer seeds portion.

Parallels 7 only and Lion only

http://www.parallels...s/desktop/core/

http://kb.parallels.com/112121

ps... For those who have not bought Parallels 7 yet, I purchased it a week or so ago as an upgrade offer. I am really impressed with it running on my iMac with just 2gb of RAM. It preforms very well and runs windows much better than expected. Well for me anyway.

No I haven't gone to the Dark side, the wife needs it for some of her sites and she has a few apps that only run on win.

Me I will stay on the Mac side. :D

Comments

• Cool, thanks for the writeup Tommy. This is something I'll have to look into doing myself.
  • poof
    poof
    Community Member
    If you're more a VMware fan it is good to know that VMware Fusion 4 also supports running the Lion client version as a guest OS. I believe VirtualBox is also able to do this.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Hey poof,

I do actually prefer VMware and I like there preferences interface for OSX Lion.

But I honestly do prefer the ease of installing via Parallels since it uses the built in restore feature of OSX

In VMware you have to actually have the downloaded installer file from a upgrade of Snow Leopard to Lion, also This poses real issues for those who bought a Mac with Lion preinstalled. According to the VMware KB's you need to buy a copy of Lion to install it.

Or you must have saved the installer when upgrading from SL.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2005334

This is why I prefer the Parallels version.

I have no experience with Virtual Box
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    But I honestly do prefer the ease of installing via Parallels since it uses the built in restore feature of OSX

That's pretty nice... :-)
  • poof
    poof
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

In VMware you have to actually have the downloaded installer file from a upgrade of Snow Leopard to Lion, also This poses real issues for those who bought a Mac with Lion preinstalled. According to the VMware KB's you need to buy a copy of Lion to install it.

A bit late but...the restore function in OS X does actually do the same thing as manually redownloading it from the App Store (which you can do by holding the option key...there are various articles about this on the internet). Difference is that once you've done this manually you can extract the .dmg and restore it to a usb stick/disk (make sure it is 8GB, the 4GB is a bit too small and won't work). There is no need to download it again which will be the case with the restore function (if you have strict bandwidth limits (like in Belgium) you don't want to download each time, just once; same thing for a slow connection). Also there is a security issues...you don't want some 3rd party tool to mess with the recovery tool. If it screws it up you'll lose the ability to restore Lion and will have to revert to installing Snow Leopard then upgrading to Lion (or redownload the Lion installer if you can still log into the OS).

Btw, for Fusion 4 to recognise the installer all you have to do is select the "Install Lion" entry in /Applications. You don't need to extract the .dmg from it.
This discussion has been closed.