how to upload a PIF file to 1password 7?

I use an old version of 1password for years and want to update to the new version to continue to manage my passwords. Unfortunately, I can only export to a PIF file and the new version won't let me upload a file type like that. I really cannot / don't want to lose all my data and passwords and start from scratch. Hoping there's some way to remedy this situation.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to upload a PIF file to 1password 7?

Comments

• Hi @nandersen

Once you have created a vault in 1Password you can use the File > Import > Other > Import a 1PIF File menu option from the menu bar to import a 1PIF.

Does that help? Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hi I just signed up to 1Password for my mac. I did for years have it on my iPad. (versions running now IOS12.4.1/1Password v7.4.1) As of some time ago the master password that worked for years no longer works. Nor can I open up Password 7 app on my mac Please help, thx. JCB

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@514JCB: Do you have a 1Password membership? That would allow you to sign into your 1Password account on each device to access the data in it. The Master Password will be something you chose though, the data cannot be accessed nor the password changed without entering the correct one.

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

TY for reply Brenty. I signed up last night thru the 1PW website for the account.
    I have used the regular app (stand alone version) on my iPad and thoroughly enjoyed it for the last 5 years or so w/o any issues whatsoever ever. Out of the blue the PW i had for the last 5 years no longer works and of course I cannot access the fingerprint feature either. I have never changed the MASTER PASSWORD and it is being entered correctly.
    Would you have any idea why out of the blue i am locked out. I am very desperate to retrieve all the info it is much needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@514JCB: If it's just a matter of you not being able to unlock, that's not something we or 1Password have any control over. The Master Password was used to encrypt the data, and therefore it is needed to decrypt it. It's just being used as an input for a mathematical operation, so 1Password does not care what it is; it simply needs the correct input in order for it to work. :(

So, though it is not something we can "reset" for you to help directly, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Otherwise you can try as many times as you want. You won't be "locked out", but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Do you have your 1Password data on another device, where you can access it?

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member

thx so much Brenty, it's all very strange. Could it be an update, or something that I did not do as required by an update. I do not use it every day, maybe once every 15 days or so. That said it worked some 15 days ago. The language is correct I verified, no caps, I have tried everything. :(
    Something strange is that after 3 failed attempts NO hint comes up, ...does that mean anything to you?

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member

thx so much Brenty, it's all very strange. Could it be an update, or something that I did not do as required by an update. I do not use it every day, maybe once every 15 days or so. That said it worked some 15 days ago. The language is correct I verified, no caps, I have tried everything. :(
    Something strange is that after 3 failed attempts NO hint comes up, ...does that mean anything to you?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@514JCB: You wouldn't necessarily have a hint. It was never mandatory, and not something that is asked for in most cases in recent years. The only other possibility, without putting too fine a point on it, other than you not entering the password correctly is that the data is damaged on your device. That would not be good news, and not something we can fix for you. But it's why I asked if you have your 1Password data somewhere else. :(

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

i did export a file bank in 2016 and it is on my desktop, the name and extension is: 1Passwordjuly 26'16.1ptbackup

command I (info) on mac gives me this:

where from: http://10.0.1.9:59579/
    http://10.0.1.9:59579/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/DE03DA9C-2E01-4052-B2A0-EB32CAC3AAD7/Documents/1password.sqlite

SIZE:
    69,632 bytes (70 KB on disk)

...does this make any sense to you?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@514JCB: Hmm. 1Passwordjuly 26'16.1ptbackup is a backup archive from a very, very old version of our iOS app. I'm not sure that's going to be helpful. The URL is part of the 1Password 3 iOS backup/restore process you used to create it. Do you have a device still running version 3 of the iOS app? Or, better yet, do you have access to your 1Password data on any of your devices currently?

• 514JCB
    514JCB
    Community Member

hi again Brenty, I have tried everything and I think we have exhausted all avenues. Thank you kindly for all your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@514JCB: I'm not comfortable saying "you're welcome" given that we don't seem to have made any real progress. But I thank you for your patience and kind words. If you find that you have your data somewhere else, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email at support@1password.com so I can help.

This discussion has been closed.