1password won't install

Hi all, I've downloaded the latest version from the site and I am trying to install it on my laptop. Upon starting the installer I get the following message: "1Password was unable to complete installation and will roll back any changes". Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
1. Redownload the app (just in case the download was corrupted this first time).
2. Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ and reboot
3. Since, looking at the install log, the first error message is "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\app\writecheck. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)", I tried to manually create the structure (up to the folder "app").

Below is the entire error log, (I have just replaced my username with xxxx)
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.504873 +03:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:354: starter 7.3.712
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.504873 +03:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:355: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.711718 +03:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\app\writecheck. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.711718 +03:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\previous\writecheck. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.711718 +03:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\update\writecheck. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)
[2019-09-21 09:51:37.711718 +03:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:174: Copying files to C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\update
[2019-09-21 09:51:42.306109 +03:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:178: Renaming C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
[2019-09-21 09:51:42.497430 +03:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:186: Renaming C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\app
[2019-09-21 09:51:42.497430 +03:00] ERROR [starter::transaction] starter\src\transaction.rs:54: failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the file specified." }
[2019-09-21 09:51:43.425343 +03:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:96: failed to move app files. Error: Error { action: "renaming folder", error: Io(Os { code: 5, kind: PermissionDenied, message: "Access is denied." }) }

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
Nick.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1709 (Build 16299.1331)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• I think you're ultimately seeing something of a red herring, @cutter. The version of 1Password you say you're using is the latest and I'm assuming you pulled that version info from 1Password itself. This means that it updated properly, but failed to remove the old files, likely because an anti-virus was blocking that removal.

As such, I'd like you to confirm a few things for me. First, open and unlock 1Password, then choose Help > About 1Password. Does this confirm you're on version 7.3.712? Next, choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reveal 1Password directory in Explorer. Open the 1Password folder and let me know what folders you are seeing there. These are all generic and shouldn't be personally identifiable in any way so feel free to list them here. This will help me confirm my suspicions. Thanks!

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

thanks for getting back to me, @bundtkate .

The problem that I'm facing is that I cannot install 1Password; not that I cannot update it.

I had it installed back way back when v7 was released, uninstalled it several months ago and I am now trying to install it again. There is no version of 1Password currently installed on my laptop so unfortunately I can't proceed with your actions.

• Your logs very explicitly indicate that there is an existing 1Password folder on your PC, @cutter. It would be unable to successfully rename folders that don't exist and your logs indicate that some renames were successful. I know you don't believe there was any trace of 1Password on your PC still, but humor me and check %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password at the very least. I just tested installing the oldest possible 1Password 7, setting it up, uninstalling and installing the latest myself without any issues so it doesn't seem the installer is thinking it finds folders that aren't there and the simplest and most rationale explanation is that you had some leftovers from that prior install. Just take a look for me and if you're right and there's nothing there, we can take a closer look then, but I don't want to move on from the most likely cause without at least checking.

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

@bundtkate, I never claimed that %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password does not exist. I even mentioned it myself in my original post as one of the first things I did in order to troubleshoot. "Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ and reboot"

The thing is, the "1Password" directory only contains the setup logs, under the path 1Password/logs/setup/1PasswordSetup-7.3.712_install***.txt files. Nothing else.
    To make extra sure that no traces were left, I even cleaned all traces of Agilebits or 1Password from the registry and rebooted, but I still get the same installation error message.

Unless there is a very specific problem or hidden locked file with 1Password, all that I can think about is that the antivirus software is causing this havoc; it's McAfee Endpoint Security and since this is a company issued laptop, I don't have the McAfee admin password to temporarily disable it in order to install 1Password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cutter,

Are you able to whitelist 1Password and its app directory %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in McAfee on your side? Please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

Hi @Greg, thx for getting back to me, as well. Sadly no, I have no control whatsoever over McAfee.

• D'oh, sorry @cutter. I was thinking I'd given you specific instructions to find that directory as I'm still adjusting to having the option in the app. That's my bad, I should have redirected you to find it yourself. Forgive me. 🙏

When you deleted that directory and rebooted, did you reinstall after? I expect you probably did, but since you didn't explicitly say so, just wanted to be sure. What's strange is that your logs (not you) are noting that folders are being renamed during install, but if you removed that folder and installed fresh, it shouldn't even be trying to do that because the folder isn't there in the first place. McAfee has been a bit of a pain this round, but it's been a pain for updates primarily because it does have a problem with renaming those folders, but again, if the folders aren't there there shouldn't be any need to rename them and McAfee shouldn't be fussed. With others using McAfee (though, admittedly, probably a somewhat different specific product) deleting the app folder specifically and installing fresh has been the solution, but removing the entire 1Password directory should work equally well.

If you have tried that and it didn't work, I wonder if maybe permissions could be an issue? It sounds like this is a work PC – any restrictions on how you can install apps, like having to install as admin or something similar? Any problems in the past with apps downloaded from third-parties that might maybe point to McAfee or other restrictions more aggressively limiting actions from third-party apps generally? Have you installed more recent older versions of 1Password without issue?

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate , I'm leaning towards McAfee being the culprit myself as well. Yes, this is a company issued PC and I have no access to the antivirus/firewall McAfee combo so that I can either temporarily disable McAfee or whitelist the 1Password executable.

Trying to install an older 1P version like you suggest is an excellent idea; can you please point me to the the download page for older versions?

• I'm reluctant to suggest an older version as a genuine solution, @cutter. While it may install properly, staying up-to-date with all software is just about the most basic security good practice you can maintain and given update issues with McAfee involved, I don't see starting with an older version helping you get to the latest. We'll keep it in our back pocket if all else fails, but before taking such a drastic step, I'd like to consider other options.

To start, are you planning to sign up for a 1Password membership? If so, would 1Password X work for you on this PC? 1Password X doesn't require a desktop app at all – it lives in your browser and works in Chrome, Firefox, and a number of browsers that are based on those two, including the current Insider version of Microsoft Edge. Being an extension that's installed from official browser extensions stores, McAfee shouldn't be fussed about it and I've not yet seen a case where it has been. If 1Password X will work for you on this PC for now, I'd suggest using it for now. We're still making some changes to the installer to try to improve these issues so if you'd like, you can try the desktop app again next update and, of course, if you want to use it on other devices without this issue, you totally can.

Check out 1Password X here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Give it a try if you'd like and let me know what you think. :+1:

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate , thx for your suggestion but a membership is something that I am definitely not interested in.

Yep you're absolutely right, I wouldn't want to be using an outdated version that holds all my sensitive data myself; the reasoning behind asking for the older version was that maybe that could install and, for some insane reason, maybe McAfee would not be as picky upgrading to the latest 1P version as it is when it comes to allowing it to install from scratch.

I still cannot figure out though why 1Password is the only application executable that is refused by McAfee (assuming of course that it's indeed McAfee). Granted, since this is a work issued PC, I haven't installed a large number of personal apps to have the whole picture, but still, I'm using this PC for several years now and I never had a problem installing the few apps I consider essential for me (1P being one of them of course!).

• I have a theory on the why, @cutter, but I'm waiting on some feedback from the development team to confirm that. I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure, though. For now, do you have the option to boot into Safe Mode with Networking on the problem PC? You often won't on a work PC, but installing in Safe Mode is one potential option if you are able to do that. Instructions are here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Make sure you choose with networking as we've got a crash in Safe Mode without networking at the moment. It's already resolved internally, but will gum up the works needless on stable. Give that a try if you're able. If not, let me know and hang tight while I confirm my theory. If I'm right, I've got some options in mind. :+1:

• Ok, @cutter, I got some answers and have something else for you to try. So my theory about what's going wrong was probably correct. We're moving away from this for the next big update, but right now 1Password is using the temp folder in app data during the install process. Consumer McAfee doesn't like this and it's one reason it's been a bit tougher to work around than other AVs. Undoubtedly enterprise McAfee is no happier about that. So, to avoid that folder, we'll need to jump through some hopes, with any luck just this once as, again, we're wanting to get away from doing that. We know AVs don't like it. Here's what you can try:

1. Install 1Password on a different PC. Do not set it up. It'll launch after it's done installing – just choose 1Password > Exit and quit it.
    2. Grab some external storage media. USB drive, external HD, whatever you've got on hand. Copy the 1Password folder in %LOCALAPPDATA% to the external drive.
    3. Haul this drive to the problem PC, plug it in, and copy that 1Password folder to %LOCALAPPDATA% on said problem PC.
    4. Run setup to set up registry – Press Windows Key + R, then type 1password.exe --setup and press enter. That will run the setup process and open the app so you can open your vault from there.

Give it a go, let me know if it helps, and of course I'm here if you have questions or run into any trouble. :+1:

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

Success, @bundtkate :) It worked like a charm. I copied the %LOCALAPPDATA% 1Password folder from my test windows PC, moved it over to my work laptop and run setup from cmd. Thank you for your excellent idea and for troubleshooting this with me!

By the way, when you mention "We're moving away from this for the next big update", is this a major version release (v8) we're talking about? If you can't provide info on this I understand, but I would love to know what goodies are in store for us and when!

Thanks again for all your help :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cutter: Ah, sorry, no 1Password 8 anytime soon. Kate is referring to what we've been working on behind the scenes for 7.4. That should help with a number of things, but specifically with regard to 1Password's files, especially with installation and updates, to hopefully prevent issues like you've experienced. I'm glad she was able to help, and we're here if you need us. Have a great weekend! :)

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member

thanks again @bundtkate, @brenty

Have a great weekend too! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! Will do! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.