MacOS, Safari and 1 password 6 anxiety

Options
dannys
dannys
Community Member

Hello there
I'm in a bit of a spin! I have a family version of 1 password 6 and I've lost the safari extension on my mac (I just read that's the way it is because of an Apple change with their extensions, that's OK...) . Around the same time, I upgraded my iphone to iOS13 and i seem to have been logged me out of 1p on my phone. I want to stick with Safari on the mac and am happy to upgrade to a family pack with 1 password 7. My mental clarity is not great as I get older!. Could someone guide me step by step how I get things working again and syncing. I am naturally aftaid I will lose my encrypted password database.

1Password Version: 1 password 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dannys!

Around the same time, I upgraded my iphone to iOS13 and i seem to have been logged me out of 1p on my phone.

Before we try anything, can you please elaborate a little bit on this? What happens when you launch 1Password on your iPhone at the moment? Are you prompted for your Master Password when you do that?

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member
    Options

Hello and thank you for responding. Firstly, I have 1 password 6 workingon the Mac. I understand that I must upgrade to version 7 if I want to use it with Safari on the mac (which I do). Please would you give me a guide to upgrade. Can I just delete 1 password 6 now without fear of losing my vault? I have a family licence for version 6, do I have to pay again for version 7? Generally speaking, I don't understand how to physically handle your licences. I have something called 'License.onepassword-license' for 1password 6 saved in my (guess where) Primary Vault but I can't remember how to use it. Any help welcomed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dannys: A license is only for the specific version purchased; so a 1Password for Mac version 6 license will not work in version 7 -- and I agree whole-heartedly that it can be confusing to keep track of (and handle, as you mention) all of that. So, rather than paying for new licenses for each version for each member of the family, I'd recommend a 1Password Families membership. That includes all the apps and updates for each family member you invite (5 are included with the standard 5$US per month), and makes it easy to securely share vaults with your loved ones. This guide will take you through signing up for the membership, migrating your existing data in 1Password 7, and setting up the rest of your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Then you'll be able to invite others as well. And if you -- or your family -- have any questions a long the way, just let us know. :)

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Does the license fee cover MacOS users and iOS users on iphone (and I guess iPad). In other words, can we load 1password on 5 Macs, 5 iphones and 5 iPads?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dannys:

1Password for iOS does not require a license, so you don't have to worry about those devices :) A license for Mac will cover all your Macs you own, but not those belonging to other family members. In this case, a 1Password Families account as brenty suggested is going to be the best (and cheapest) choice for you.

This discussion has been closed.