What's wrong with using Safari's built-in Passwords manager?

Duane Williams
Duane Williams
Community Member

I have been increasingly using the built-in Passwords manager in (macOS) Safari (now at ver. 13.0.1) and it has been very convenient, pretty much as convenient as 1Password used to be. I currently have 1P 6 and, as we all know, it doesn't work in Safari 13. I could upgrade to 1P version 7, but I'm wondering why I should, given that the password manager in Safari works so well.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member

Oh, one other point. 1P 6 still works on the Mac, of course. It sits alongside Safari and if I ever run into a situation where the built-in Safari password manager isn't sufficient I can easily copy/paste from 1P. So what I seem to be missing here is only the convenience of typing a keystroke to insert passwords into Safari websites.

• Hi @Duane Williams

For many the built-in password managers are sufficient. 1Password helps fill in when folks want to use multiple browsers, multiple platforms (e.g. not just Apple devices), want to have web-based access to their data, want to store more than just usernames & passwords, want to share some sensitive data with another person / other people, etc.

If you find Safari is doing everything you're asking for it, then no hard feelings if you decide not to upgrade. If you ever run up against it's limitations and want to give 1Password 7 a whirl we'll be here. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.