Newbie Questions - Many Steps using Chrome

I just signed up for 1Password based on the NYTimes recommendation that it is easy to use. I'm starting to generate new passwords for my accounts. I have been using Chrome to save and autofill passwords. It automatically fills passwords in almost every website.

I tried costco.com first. I generated and copied a new password into the Costco change password screen, but the screen wouldn't accept ctrl-V so I had to type the whole password twice.

After changing the password in my Google account, I tried to log in. I expected 1Password to recognize the login screen and enter the password, the way Chrome does. Instead I had to click the 1Password icon, open up all the accounts (searching for google didn't work), right click, copy the password and then paste. Type in window was grayed out.

Am I using 1Password wrong, or is this typical of how it works?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Forms that disable paste are going to be a problem, @toolworker, and there's unfortunately nothing we can do about that. It's a silly thing to do, but it's done nonetheless, and if you're creating a random and complex password, it is something that's going to make things a bit harder for you. Security and convenience certainly don't have to be in conflict at all times and we do our best to design 1Password to make security easier instead of a harder, but this is one problem we're not empowered to combat beyond hoping it's rare. You can also generate word-based passwords when you need to type them – whether because paste is disabled or because you need to use them on devices where you can't install 1Password, like a smart TV – to help ease the pain as well. Word-based passwords are easier to type so having to do so from time to time isn't so frustrating as with a random password.

As for filling generally, that doesn't sound right to me, so I'd like to start by showing you how it should work. Since you've been using Chrome to save and fill passwords before, I'd suggest using 1Password X to save and fill with 1Password:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

1Password X can import your passwords from Chrome, making the transition easier, and it can also fill generated passwords directly into forms sometimes helping to deal with those forms where you aren't able to paste. The guide I linked will show you how this process should work and even includes a video so you can see it in action. Hopefully it helps you learn the process and give filling another try. If you run into any trouble or there's something you don't quite understand, let me know. We're here to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.