Fill login keyboard shortcut not working in Firefox

Robincognito
Robincognito
Community Member
edited September 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I have the 1Password X add-on installed on Firefox but whenever I try the fill login shortcut (⌘\), a window pops up prompting me to "Install the 1Password extension to fill passwords, credits cards, and addresses in Firefox". It's definitely installed. I can open it from the toolbar and autofill using the button.

I don't have this issue in Chrome. Any help?

Edit: Is this possibly because the keyboard shortcut isn't designed to work with 1Password X? On Chrome, I use the "desktop app required" version. I just tried downloading that version for Firefox from your website so I could compare, but I got a connection error.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hey @Robincognito, the key shortcut is different for 1Password X and for the 1Password companion extension. For Firefox you use "⌘+." to open 1Password X and on Chrome "⌘+Shift+x".
    If you want to learn more about 1Password X: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Robincognito: Alternatively, since you're using 1Password for Mac anyway, you could use its companion desktop app extension in your browser:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

You can get it here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

1Password X is a self-sufficient extension that runs entirely in the browser, so that people can use 1Password there even without the desktop app.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• Robincognito
    Robincognito
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, Yulka and brenty.

As I said in my post, I did try to download the companion extension but I got a "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure" error. After some Googling, I found your help page about this and now everything is working as expected.

Regarding 1Password X, I note that ⌘+ opens the extension but it doesn't fill in the username and passwords fields. Is there no keyboard shortcut equivalent to ⌘\ in 1Password X? It's not an issue for me now that I've switched to the companion extension, but I'm just curious in case I go back to using 1Password X in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Robincognito: Ah, thanks for clarifying. You weren't specific initially, but I am familiar with this error: "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure". 9 times out of 10 that's a TLS failure: a secure connection (end to end, with no person-in-the-middle) could not be established, so it was rejected. You can usually work around that by downloading the extension in a different browser, but it's important not to ignore the problem. You likely have either "security" software trying to snoop on everything you do, or malware doing something similar. The browser cannot tell the difference. It's worth looking into.

Back to 1Password X, it cannot on its own respond to a keyboard shortcut to fill like that. When using the desktop app/extension intead, like I mentioned above, 1Password for Mac handles the global login filling keyboard shortcut, so that would work for you.

(In the future, we'd like 1Password X to be able to integrate with the desktop app in a similar way as well. That's something we're currently working on in the beta.)

This discussion has been closed.