Several questions about upgrading from 1Password 6 to 1Password.com

Options

After reading a bunch of old blog posts (some of which were only available on the Wayback Machine; arg), I have satisfied myself that vaults on 1Password.com are actually more secure than they are on my local drives, and have therefore (prompted, of course, by the unexpected downgrade that is Safari 13) decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Family Account from my existing Family License of 1Password 6. But I have a handful of questions before I do.

1. I was unclear about whether to enter to enter my existing Master Password into the 1Password.com dialog, but a blog post seems to indicate that I should. Correct?
  2. Am I also correct in understanding that, even though I'm typing my Master Password into a webpage, it is not in fact being transmitted anywhere?
  3. I saw somewhere that registered 1Password 6 users got 6 months(?) free when signing up for a 1Password account. I seem to have lost that link (I've already started signing up using that link, so it probably doesn't matter, but it's frustrating that I can't find it again).
  4. I also saw somewhere that if you've purchased a 1Password 7 standalone license, you can get credit for a 1Password.com membership. Does that mean that if I purchase a standalone copy, I will end up with both a standalone license and $63 (or whatever; finding out the pricing is difficult) credit toward my Family Account?
  5. If that's the case, can I do it again, and end up with a second 1Password 7 standalone license, essentially for free?
  6. And can I do this after my free trial period?
  7. If it's not clear yet, I'm interested in making sure that I'm not dependent on a subscription. I might go broke, or decide I'm too paranoid to trust anyone else with my data. How easy is it to go back to using 1Password 7 standalone?

P.S. The "How to find extension version" in "Additional Information" at the bottom of new posts redirects to How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser, which does not discuss how to find the version number.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Jim A Syler

I'd be happy to help with those questions.

I was unclear about whether to enter to enter my existing Master Password into the 1Password.com dialog, but a blog post seems to indicate that I should. Correct?

The choice is yours. We typically recommend using the existing password unless it is less than 10 characters or you believe it may have been compromised. Keeping it the same makes the migration process a little smoother.

Am I also correct in understanding that, even though I'm typing my Master Password into a webpage, it is not in fact being transmitted anywhere?

Correct. 1Password.com is a web app that runs in your browser. All of the encryption / decryption is done in your browser, not by the server. As such the server has no need for your Master Password. So we don't send it there. :+1:

I saw somewhere that registered 1Password 6 users got 6 months(?) free when signing up for a 1Password account. I seem to have lost that link (I've already started signing up using that link, so it probably doesn't matter, but it's frustrating that I can't find it again).

We've run a few different promotions over time, most of them being time-limited (i.e. the offers expire). I'm not sure what might be available at the moment but please feel free to reach out to our team at support@1password.com and we can take a look.

I also saw somewhere that if you've purchased a 1Password 7 standalone license, you can get credit for a 1Password.com membership. Does that mean that if I purchase a standalone copy, I will end up with both a standalone license and $63 (or whatever; finding out the pricing is difficult) credit toward my Family Account?

No. I suspect what you're seeing is folks exercising our 30-day money back guarantee on licenses. For folks who buy a license but then decide to move to a membership within 30 days we'll offer a credit for the amount paid for the license on their membership rather than refund and re-pay. It just saves some steps on both sides. The license is invalidated by doing so.

If that's the case, can I do it again, and end up with a second 1Password 7 standalone license, essentially for free?

You don't get to keep the license. ;)

And can I do this after my free trial period?

Generally not. 30 days is the refund window on licenses, and is also typically the trial window on memberships.

If it's not clear yet, I'm interested in making sure that I'm not dependent on a subscription. I might go broke, or decide I'm too paranoid to trust anyone else with my data. How easy is it to go back to using 1Password 7 standalone?

If you go broke and your subscription lapses your membership would become frozen. You'd still be able to view and export your data, but would not be able to use the extension, add new data, or modify existing data:

If your 1Password account is frozen

You can export your data when your membership is in this state. We do also have a guide on moving to standalone from membership available here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

P.S. The "How to find extension version" in "Additional Information" at the bottom of new posts redirects to How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser, which does not discuss how to find the version number.

I saw your other thread. Thanks. :)

Currently, if all of my devices are stolen or burned in a fire, I can retrieve my 1Password data by downloading 1Password on a new device, logging into Dropbox with a password I've memorized, opening my 1Password file and typing in my Master Password. In other words, I can get everything back by knowing two memorizable passwords. However, it's my understanding that when using 1Password online, to do this I must have both my Master Password and my Secret Key, which is not memorizable. Is that correct?

I suppose whether it can be memorized or not is up to you. ;) But no, it isn't designed with the intention of being memorized. To avoid being unable to access your account in such a situation I'd recommend having a copy of your Emergency Kit, or at least the Secret Key, handy:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Can I combine types of Vaults in 1Password 7? That is, can I have one Vault that is stored on 1Password.com, and another that is stored on Dropbox?

If you can fit a square peg into a round hole then yes: you can. It isn't something we'd recommend doing. Doing so results in a setup that may have unintended consequences and so we don't provide instructions on how to do this, or recommend that people do so.

Sorry for all the questions—they just keep coming.

No worries, but I hope you understand if I try to keep my answer to each question fairly brief. If you'd like for me to elaborate on a point please let me know and I'll do my best. We are a bit backed up right now largely due to the Safari 13 release, so we're trying to get answers out to everyone as quickly as we can.

Related to #8, I was thinking that 1Password X was a replacement for the old, loved Dropbox method of accessing your passwords—you could log into Dropbox, click on an item in the 1Password folder, and be able to type in your Master Password and see all your passwords if you happened to find yourself at a 'foreign' computer without any of your devices (this was useful when I worked at Geek Squad and wasn't allowed to take my iPhone into the service area). But I'm not sure that it is. How much access do I need to have on the 'foreign' computer in order to install 1Password X? Do I need administrator privileges? And, again, I'll need my Secret Key, which (unless I keep it on a piece of paper in my wallet) I won't have with me, right?

I believe in most environments you can install browser extensions without the need for administrative privileges. That said we'd urge extreme reluctance to accessing your accounts (1Password or otherwise) on a device you don't control. Based on our conversations it seems you're very heavily weighted on having the highest level of security available to you. By accessing your information on a computer you don't control, you're essentially throwing all of that security out the window. That said, yes, the my.1password.com web app as well as 1Password X could potentially be used in a situation where you cannot or do not want to install software.

Even a computer owned by an employer may be a risk. I posted about this in response to a similar question, but specifically about accessing personal 1Password data from an employer's computer:

That said I'd recommend using extreme caution in accessing any personal accounts on a device you don't own. It is not out of the realm of possibility that your employer is recording your screen and keystrokes. This is true for any device that you don't own, such as public computers. There is really no telling what 'malware' is on such a device, intentionally or unintentionally. The best policy would be to not access personal accounts other than from your own devices.

To authorize sign-in from a device you haven't signed in from before (or where prior authorization has been cleared) you will need your Secret Key.

Does that help? If you have any further questions or would like clarification on any points please let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

…Except that would be really confusing to the average user. Hmph.

Indeed. That is a good percentage of the issue, especially considering the feature sets are different between licensing and membership. Most of our customers at this point don't know or care about licenses. They just want 1Password to work, and membership gives them that.

I don't think this is the same thing I was talking about in the other thread, but whatever.

Did I misunderstand? Sorry; I may have been misremembering, but I could've sworn I saw you post this same feedback elsewhere. It has been a long week though so it is entirely possible that I'm mixed up.

I'm just trying to figure out the security consequences of having a Vault in Dropbox that had basically nothing except my Secret Key in it, in case I had to start from scratch. As far as I can see, that means that I'm risking someone being able to access everything if they only had my Master Password and access to my Dropbox—which is already the situation I'm in now. Hm. This Secret Key stuff is tricky—it provides a lot of extra security, but at a price.

You might consider storing a copy of your Emergency Kit, sans-Master Password, in Dropbox. If you wanted to add a layer of security to that you could store the kit inside of an encrypted disk image (guide from Apple) but that would add yet another password you have to remember.

Well, it's more about balancing security and convenience, and understanding my risk profile.

Understood.

I'm more paranoid about losing access to everything

Fortunately that isn't really as much of a concern due to how we handle frozen accounts. We try to be as fair as possible in this regard.

If your 1Password account is frozen

(or losing functionality because I run out of money)

Not to get into some debate about capitalism or something like that... with the world we live in that is pretty much a situation we all deal with. Unless you're using only software that you are creating yourself there is always going to be some level of risk in that regard. Computing is a very dynamic environment, and each of the pieces has interactions with all of the other pieces.

Back in the day, I'd use the Dropbox interface on the University library public computers to access my login info without giving it a second thought, but you make good points about keyloggers, etc. on public or work computers. That's not something I'd given much thought to.

I think unfortunately there are a lot of people who haven't given it much thought, and I also think it is a much more common situation than anyone would like to admit.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's not a given, so we're not going to assume that. Not everyone has iCloud Keychain enabled, or uses the same Apple ID everywhere. It's best to take responsibility for your own account credentials. Better safe than sorry. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There are any number of ways to backup account credentials, so it's really a matter of personal preference. The important thing is having them when you need them. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.