iPhone is syncing without Dropbox

Options

Whilst determining how best to cope with the recent Dropbox restriction for free users of only allowing three linked devices, i discovered that my wife's iphone is syncing perfectly well with the vault on my PC, even though the Dropbox app is not on her phone. The sync settings for 1password on her phone are even set to Dropbox.

How is that even possible?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Decca: Great question! It's not something most people are even curious about. :) Dropbox provides an API so that mobile apps can sync with it. It isn't possible to run the Dropbox client which syncs files in a folder on a computer on a mobile device, and the Dropbox mobile apps are limited in what they can do because of power and storage restrictions -- imagine if an iPhone tried to download everything in a heavy Dropbox user's up to 2TB+ account; bad news. So, like other 3rd party apps, we just use their SDK to add support to sync with Dropbox into our mobile apps.

However, on a related note, you may want to consider a 1Password Families membership, since that has no device restriction, and allows you and your wife (well, up to 5 family members at the base price) to use all the 1Password apps and securely share data. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.