Implications for updating with Dropbox

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Conflicted copy via Dropbox.

Comments

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jakegoat,

Yes, you would have an increased chance of sync conflicts if you're sharing the same vault with other users, same reason we're stopped recommending Dropbox sync for shared standalone vaults for many years now even before we switch to OPVault for all 1Password 7 versions.

If you're changing a lot of data at the same time with your wife, then I would recommend waiting until we add this support but we don't have a timeframe on this.

Hi there, just checking in. Still haven't upgraded to v7. Any further thoughts? My 1Password Extension for Safari disappeared recently which tells me you are 100% expecting everyone to be on v7... If dropbox isn't supported for sharing password vaults what is the suggested route?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jakegoat: You're posting in an old WIndows beta discussion about Dropbox's "conflicted copy" behaviour with regard to sync conflicts, but your comments don't seem related to that. Can you clarify? What OS, 1Password, and browser versions are you using, and what do you need help with? 1Password Families is a great way to securely share data -- easily -- but I'd like to understand your situation before we go any further. Thanks!

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I see. We have been Dropbox / 1Password users for a long time - v4? - and I like very much the transparency of the agilekeychain sharing with its granular entries. It’s very flexible for sharing, backup etc and avoids any data or keys being on anyone’s servers aside from our trusted company, Dropbox. We’re using multiple OSX machines and iOS tablets and phones.

If you’d like to redirect this thread elsewhere, no problem.

• It's not a matter of redirecting, really, @jakegoat, just a matter of ensuring you're getting accurate information. 1Password for Mac, including 1Password 7, will try to resolve Dropbox conflicts already and has for some time. 1Password for Windows, on the other hand, hasn't ever done this. Of course, if you're not using Windows (and it seems that's the case), you need not worry about that, whether using OPVault or not.

And, of course, now I feel bad because it's clear you didn't recognize this was Windows specific and you may have held off based on nothing much at all. While looking at the forum category a post is in isn't always a perfect indicator of what app that post is discussing, it's generally fairly accurate and is definitely a good place to start. We always strive to keep things as consistent as possible across platforms, but native apps come with different native limitations, so there are occasions, like this, where something will impact one platform and not others. And, of course, you can always ask about your platform specifically when in doubt, and we on the 1Password team can (and should) be more diligent about confirming such things as well. Brenty deserves a cookie for saving us all from our assumptions here.

Anyway, short version – 1Password 7 for Mac resolves Dropbox conflict, so that shouldn't factor into your decision here, but it also does require OPVault so that's something to take under consideration. AgileKeychain may be fairly straight-forward, but it had its problems too. You can learn more about OPVault's design here. Finally, it's worth noting that at a very high level, 1Password.com sync is very similar to Dropbox sync. No unencrypted data comes to our servers and no keys either. :+1:

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks - I'll look into the implications!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jakegoat: Likewise, thanks for the clarification. I've split you off into a new discussion so we can focus on your setup and any questions you might have. But if since you're mainly thinking about it from the perspective of someone using 1Password on a Mac and iPhone and syncing with Dropbox...well, I can related to that, so maybe I can offer some insights. :)

With 1Password 7, we've completed a fairly long transition away from AgileKeychain to OPVault, since the latter was designed years ago in large part to be more efficient for syncing using Dropbox. AgileKeychain is no longer supported.

However, I can tell you as someone who used Dropbox to sync/share 1Password data for about a decade that 1) I didn't really think I needed to move to a 1Password membership, but 2) I am really, really glad I did and wouldn't go back. The built-in 1Password.com sync is just way simpler, faster, and more secure and convenient. That's nothing against Dropbox, as I still use it to sync files. But 1Password has different needs and requirements, and we've been able to design around that when building our own service. You still get to choose a long, strong, unique Master Password which no one else knows to protect your data, but 1Password membership accounts have the added protection of the 128-bit, randomly-generated Secret Key -- neither of which are ever transmitted to us, just the encrypted data, which was done locally on your device. And being able to just sign in on each device to access your data, instead of configuring sync manually, is something I've gotten used to -- and it's exponentially nicer when dealing with multiple vaults, and sharing between family members with 1Password Families. Add to that all of the apps and updates being included, it sounds like that would really simplify a lot of things for you as far as where to go from here. But either way, let me know if you have any questions. There's a good chance I already know the answers from experience. :lol:

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, and thanks. I'm going to dig into this a little bit and will let you know if any questions arise. Appreciate the offer of help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    Options

One quick question - are the rules for frequency of 1Password locking (and requiring unlocking) the same? I ask because I favour rotating master passwords very often but we like having them shorter because we're required to input them so often. The trial that I just started insisted on a 10 character min for the master password. If this is going to be something that is required for input every 30 minutes or so that will become very tedious... Any thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jakegoat: You can configure how often (and under what conditions) the Master Password is required in 1Password's security settings.

I'd strongly advise against "rotating master passwords", because that encourages you to use a shorter one, and raises the likelihood that it will be harder to remember and type, especially if you do actually go with a strong one.

How to choose a good Master Password

Change it one last time to use a long, strong, unique one that you can memorize, but which no one else can guess. A password only needs to be changed if it is weak, reused, or has been compromised. Cheers! :)

• jakegoat
    jakegoat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but I'd still like to know how often does the 1Password v7 infrastructure require a re-login? Is it after 10 minutes or more?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty:

That depends on your security settings in the app, as brenty mentioned (1Password Preferences > Security tab). By default on the website and in 1Password X, it requires it every 10 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.