Why can we not have the ability to use custom selectors for populating web form fields?

Options
joepagan
joepagan
Community Member
edited September 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I want to use 1password to auto populate a field in a form.

The form's inputs have no name attribute.

Saying that a form doesn't support password managers is not good enough. Some forms are just not built correctly.

Getting a huge organisation to change their form is extremely unlikely for a consumer user.

Please can you give us the option to add #password for an input with an id attribute set .password for targeting an element with a class attribute etc...

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @joepagan! Is there a certain website you have in mind? I might be able to help you figure out a way to make the form fill on that page, and if not, knowing problematic pages is helpful so I can report it to our developers to make our filling "brain" smarter. In a recent version of our filling brain, we do try to fill additional fields as best we can from custom fields stored in an item in 1Password. So if you name a field to match in some way to the page's HTML, there's a decent chance the field will actually fill. There are a number of different criteria 1Password evaluates when filling to see what should be filled and where, and how heavily certain criteria should be ranked, so you might experiment here, but again, I'd love to know the site if you would be willing to share, unless it's something you don't wish to share publicly or is something I would not be able to access.

• joepagan
    joepagan
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_michaelc thanks for getting back to me. I would like this to work with my router's login page!

It's obviously not publicly accessible, but, I've made a gist of the markup it makes:
    https://gist.github.com/joepagan/b96d3e206ae6f7fdc40cf8c5f2aa1ee8

Is there a way I can target this password input?

• @joepagan can you try making your item resemble this one, but with accurate, sensible data, of course?

And if that doesn't work, try the same thing but in place of fmInp-Password, try tr_Password. The label in the web form details is what I want you to focus on and try out. :smile:

• joepagan
    joepagan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_michaelc I have just tried both of your suggestions & unfortunately, neither of them work.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @joepagan ,
    I noticed in the HTML code that this webpage doesn't have a username field, and that the password field is not set as a password input, but rather as plain text field input.
    Can you please try to remove the password field from the login you have in 1Password, and put the password in the username field (so it would show in plain text)?

Give it a try then and see if it autofills.

• joepagan
    joepagan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Yaron

Thanks for the suggestion, just tested that. Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I have changed the "type" of field to a Text field to see if that would work (using different labels as previously suggested), though again, no further luck...

I have added my gist as a repo and make a webpage out of it here which you guys can also test with fake credentials:
    https://joepagan.github.io/vm-superhub3-login/

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @joepagan ,
    Can you please also change that little key icon in your screenshot that indicates it is a password? Change it to the little person figure (which will indicate it is a username field), and if that doesn't work, change it to the blank option that does not have an icon. Perhaps that will do the trick.

• joepagan
    joepagan
    Community Member
    Options

Resolved!

Thanks for the help. The correct combination here was:

Label:
    Password

Field type:
    Text

Icon type:
    Profile picture/blank

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nice! Well done :chuffed:
    I'm glad we were able to get this website to autofill for you.

This discussion has been closed.