Ability to convert item type?

Options
theoriginalbit
theoriginalbit
Community Member

I know you're able to convert a password item to a login item, but was wondering if it was possible to convert anything else?

There's a few login items in a shared vault that have been created as the wrong item type, I'd like to be able to convert them without having to create them. For example, we have a login item that is for a WiFi network, so would make more sense to have it as a Wireless Router item.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• Anakowi
    Anakowi
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to know about this too. I've created a lot of items before understanding how each template works.

I find many of the templates too specific - with some very useful fields that aren't available on other templates but otherwise cluttered.
    This makes creating Items tedious and rather annoying.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @theoriginalbit and welcome to the forum, @Anakowi! The short answer is: no. Converting a generated-and-saved Password item into a Login is about the only such conversion possible, and that's because we save the generated Password in case for some unusual reason saving as a Login fails -- if we didn't save it, you'd be without any copy of it, which could result in bad things, indeed. So, when a successful save-as-Login occurs, the generated password items is removed (it's not actually converted).

But that's about the only one we have, since, for example a Credit Card is not a Secure Note is not a Passport -- those Categories have different templates; often none of the fields are even the same. It's true that, for example, a bank account may have details such as routing and transit numbers as well as a username/password combination for signing into online banking -- and we've got some thoughts for that in the future -- but I doubt that any real "conversion" from one category to another will ever exist, owing to their fundamentally different natures.

• Anakowi
    Anakowi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. It makes sense.
    I missed something in my initial introduction to using 1Password — that one's approach needed careful consideration from the outset. I've gone from a 30-page secure document to KeepassX to 1Password.
    I was blindly believing I could wing it without studying the learner guides.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! We are here if you have any questions :)

Have a wonderful day :)

• theoriginalbit
    theoriginalbit
    Community Member
    Options

That makes sense. Though if I'm not mistaken most of the categories do have a username/password combination, so perhaps even just being able to migrate a login to some other item/category in the same way that a password can be migrated to a login.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theoriginalbit:

I think the problem is the other fields in a category, which often exist only for a specific category. A password item only has a password field, which a Login field also has, so in that case the conversion is simple.

This discussion has been closed.