duplicated data when upgrading to 1password7, moving to a family plan

Options
karlg100
karlg100
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Families

My wife and I were happily sharing a vault synced over dropbox. this worked fantastic for nearly a decade.

I decided after many years of paying for the app upgrades, now subscribe, and I did so with a family plan.

now between 2 personal vaults, and a shared vault, we have thousands of dupes all over the place. it's a huge dumpster fire.

any suggestions on cleaning up the mess? The Help -> Tools -> clean up dupes is grayed out and apparently useless.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1password vaults family

Comments

• karlg100
    karlg100
    Community Member
    Options

so first tip - you can only run the dupe tool on an individual vault.

it also seems to be marginal at best. many dupes still exist, but have the same/identical info, last modified date, created date, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karlg100: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, if you migrated the same data multiple times, you'll have duplicates as a result. Or, if you did not remove the old Primary (local) vault setup after migrating, you'll see more than one of everything when viewing multiple vaults with the same data in the All Vaults view. Or, both.

In the former case, Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items works for an individual vault because items in separate vaults are not duplicates, and will only remove actual duplicates rather than just similar items, since that would result in data loss otherwise.

In the latter case, you just need to setup the app with only your account, getting rid of the old vault(s), and then you will have only the copies of the data in the account, and your devices will all have the same data going forward.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.