How to (re)generate a family member's emergency kit/secret key

jneese
jneese
Community Member

Hi,
I am in the process of moving from the standalone app to a family account with members. The problem I currently have is with my wife's account (or should I say "user", because the "account" is the overall family account?). If I want to install her user on her iPhone and iPad or even access her user in Safari on the Mac, the 1P app always requests the Secret Key and/or the Emergency Kit.

The question now is: How do I generate this Kit and the Secret Key therein so that, during the login process on iPhone/iPad, my wife e.g. can scan the QR code in the emergency kit in order to log in and see the vaults?

In the web interface for the overall family account there is a button "Save Emergency Kit" which I assume regenerates the family central kit/key. But how can I log in to a family members account over the Web without knowing the secret key which is one third of the credentials (the other two are email address and master password)?

Please note: I use the .eu version of the 1P service if that makes a difference somewhere...
Thanks for hints!

Regards
Jochen

1Password Version: 7 on Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jneese!

Have you invited your wife to your 1Password Families account already?

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Yes I did, and an individual master password has also been created. But for some reason on her iPhone there is no way to login with her credentials, since this requires the secret key which she does not have (and I don't have either). That's why I asked (and would expect) an option to regenerate the secret key and emergency kit PDF for a family member from the family organizer's web interface.

To illustrate issues that also others might have: On https://support.1password.com/secret-key/ you suggest the following:

So you recommend, in order to find your secret key, I should log into my account. But that's not possible without the secret key... ;)

Hope that illustrates the issue.
    Regards
    Jochen

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jneese, thank you for the clarification! Your wife was prompted to downloaded the Emergency Kit during the account creation. If you didn't do this step, you can recover your wife's account so she will get a new Emergency Kit with a new Secret Key, which she can store safely.

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Thanks again for the swift reply, but the iPhone keeps telling me that on IOS downloading the Emergency Kit is not supported...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jneese:

Please try it from a desktop computer, you will be able to download the Emergency Kit from there. Once you have it, you can login to the iOS app and retrieve the Secret Key from there in the future, without needing a computer to do it.

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Thanks, this has solved the issue, but there's the next one. I'll open another thread for 1P having screwed up my attached docs/pictures...

• Glad to hear Ana's advice helped. We'll keep an eye out for your other thread.

Ben

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Hi Ben and ag_ana,

thanks again, you can close this one. My new thread describing the destroyed image/document attachments is this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108078/attached-documents-have-been-detached-from-original-records#latest

Cheers
    Jochen

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.