Problem with generating stronger passwords to replace weak ones

Options
Elda
Elda
Community Member

I am on a 30-day trial of 1Password 7 on a Mac OS 10.14.6. I use Safari 13.0.2 and Firefox 69.0.3 browsers. I've begun the process of logging into websites as I use them and getting 1Password to remember the user/password - all good. But when I try the process of having 1Password generate a unique, stronger password to replace my existing password, something is going wrong.
I get to Step 3 in the "Change your passwords and make them stronger" tutorial. But after saving the new password on the website account, 1Password does not "automatically detect the new password" and ask if I want to update it for this account.
And it seems as though if I log out of the said website account and log back in, 1Password still contains the old password and the old password still works on the website I thought I had updated. Or sometimes the website has updated the new password, but 1Password has never asked me to update it, so I'm locked out of the website because I didn't get a chance to update the new random password into 1Password. So what's going on?
I've only done this a couple of times and thought I understood the process, only to find out it didn't work. It's just dawning on me that this is a repeating problem.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Elda

Could you please confirm that the setting 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to same them is enabled? If it is, you may have just had a string of (poor) luck whereby 1Password was unable to detect the password change form for the sites you were updating. In cases where that happens, you can still update the record using this procedure:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

On the resulting Save Login pop-up use the Update Existing tab to update the existing record:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Elda
    Elda
    Community Member
    Options

I do have that setting enabled in Preferences. But I may be confused between logging in on the 1Password.com site and the 1Password 7.3.2 program (app?) that has an open icon in my Mac laptop tray. I noticed earlier (when signed into 1Password.com on Safari) that I was confused about not finding the 1Password menu at the top of my screen where I could find Preferences. Not sure if this makes a difference in the problem I was having, but maybe you could clarify that. And do I always leave 1Password active in my tray or do I "quit 1Password" when not using it?

As for making passwords stronger and updating them, I'll just be super careful to copy or record the suggested new password until I figure out the process.

I'm having some doubts about this system, however, partly due to the fuss involved in adopting it. Somehow having ALL my passwords on a cloud system that is an obvious target for really determined hackers seems more vulnerable than the chance of some random hacker finding my personal list. However, I know 1Password is highly recommended.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Elda:

Not sure if this makes a difference in the problem I was having, but maybe you could clarify that.

Most of the features in 1Password come from the desktop app and browser extension, rather than the website, so there are differences between the two.

And do I always leave 1Password active in my tray or do I "quit 1Password" when not using it?

That is up to you. But since it is something that you are going to use multiple times a day, it's more convenient to let 1Password auto-lock instead of having to quit it manually every time.

Can you make sure that the browser that you are using has the 1Password extension installed?

• Elda
    Elda
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I checked just now and I have the extensions enabled in both Safari and Firefox. Thanks for explaining the distinction about the app vs. website. I wasn't sure whether leaving 1Password open/on made it more vulnerable.

• Ben
    Options

@Elda,

It does, to some extent. If someone other than you were to gain access to / control of your computer you would ideally want 1Password to be locked, but if someone nefarious has that level of access you probably have bigger worries at that point. :)

ben

This discussion has been closed.