Why doesn't the password generator remember the password?

Windows 10, latest 1Password version 1.16.2 in Firefox browser.
I just created a logon to a banking site with the password given to me. This I pasted from an email.
The requirement was to change the password immediately.
1Password offered to store the entry which was what I wanted.
I logged in and then had to change the password on the form. I used the password generator to give a new password and clicked on save and fill but it failed to save the new password. The bank form had already accepted the new password and changed it.
When I tried to log in again (as required) The saved password was still the old one!

Luckily, I found the history function on the password generator tab and have found the password again (and written it down!)
Normally, I write the password down, just in case until proven to work but in this instance I forgot.

1Password Version: 1.16.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @colins2! I want to make sure that I understand these steps properly. I don't believe there's a Save and Fill button in 1Password X. In the password generator, we've got Copy and Autofill buttons. Do you recall which of those you would have clicked?

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlin,

Sorry, it was the copy button and then 1Password asked if I wanted to save - something like that anyway.
    As I said, it didn't save the updated password. I have had this before sometimes and normally I write down the password "just in case".
    This time I forgot to write it down but luckily I could find it again in the generator history function.
    I wasn't aware of that before now but am very glad that it is there!.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Colins2 – Thanks for clarifying that for me! The copy button won't cause 1Password to open the save Login dialog. Instead, you'd paste the copied password into the proper field, then you'd see a Save in 1Password menu underneath the field. It'll look something like this:

You do need to click the Save in 1Password option to save the Login. Do you recall clicking that and a popup appearing?

Side note: I'm glad you found the password in generator history. Any password you generate will live there, so it's a great fallback option.

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member

@kaitlyn
    Not exactly. I already had the login set up using the password that they provided. This was a one-time use password that I had to change on first login. I logged in and saved the entry in 1Password so that it had the web address and user name and also the original password.
    Then when prompted for a new password, I used the generator to generate a new one. This I copied to the login page. All of this is normal but what didn't happen is that when I clicked to update the password, it wasn't saved and retained the old one.
    I have had this before and as I wrote, I normally jot down the new password just in case I need to edit the entry.
    Having 'discovered' the history function, this won't be necessary now :-)
    However, that doesn't explain why the update password function didn't work. Maybe I miss-clicked, no way to tell now but next time I generate a password to replace an existing one, I will take more notice.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Colins2 – I see what you're saying. Just so I'm clear, you did click the Save in 1Password option in my last comment? Is that the button that didn't work, or did you receive a pop up asking if you'd like to update or save a new Login? I'm trying to hone in on what button you think didn't work for you so I can keep an eye on it myself. I haven't heard of any other reports, but I want to make sure we catch it early just in case we do see a trend. If you don't remember, that's totally fine too. I just ask that you watch it closely next time and provide the exact steps to reproduce the issue if it does come up again. I appreciate it! ❤️

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member

@kaitlyn
    As far as I can remember it was the update function that didn't work as expected. I haven't had a problem with the 'save in 1Password' function. I will take careful note next time I update or create a new entry.
    Thanks for your assistance.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @Colins2! If you notice anything funky next time, don't hesitate to comment here again. :)

This discussion has been closed.