Disable 1password extension on specific domains

Hi,

I would like to disable the 1password extension on specific domains. I don't want to the javascript to run at all (i.e., not just configure it to not save passwords for specific sites).

How do I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @jabalsad! Welcome to the forum. :chuffed:

While we don't currently have a way to disable 1Password X on specific domains (aside from disabling it yourself when you visit the domain), I'm curious to learn more about what you're wanting to accomplish by disabling 1Password X. Is it interrupting your workflow while it's enabled? If so, that's definitely something we want to know about so we can work on improving the experience.

If you could describe your use case in detail, then perhaps I can help you accomplish something similar in a different way. If not, I'm happy to bring up your request to my team so we can discuss it together. Let me know!

ref: x/b5x#161

• jabalsad
    jabalsad
    Community Member

Hi. Yes, there's a variety of situations it breaks or interrupts my workflow:

1. On some websites, it breaks original functionality on the website when/if 1password loads. The only way to use this website is to go into my chrome settings, disable the extension for the entire browser, reload the website, use the website, remember to turn 1password back on when I'm done with the website (it should be obvious how incredibly frustrating this is).

2. On some websites, it loads in text input boxes that are not password or login related. (this is just an annoyance, but doesn't prevent me from doing anything)

3. On development of websites (i'm a software engineer), it loads when I'm busy doing testing. It sometimes result in javascript errors, or even just rendering the 1password icon in the input box when I don't want it to because I'm trying to take screenshots.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jabalsad: For #1, it would be better to know what the URLs are so we can investigate. It's not really going to scale well for users to have to know to disable 1Password on specific sites manually if it's causing trouble. I'd rather we investigate to see what we can do to help avoid that in the first place. ;) Same with #2: that seems like a solvable problem, and there would be less burden on the user if we're able to have 1Password not show up where it doesn't belong. But I can certainly see how for #3 it could be useful in some cases to be able to disable 1Password on a site if possible, though the browser lets you disable any extension on demand as well. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• jabalsad
    jabalsad
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

That's a really non-customer focused answer. For me to wait for you to fix (#1) and to continuously report (#1) when it happens AGAIN and AGAIN is a burden and a pain on me. You need to learn something about being a bit more customer focused and giving your customers the features they are asking for (I see this thread many times on this forum).

If that's your attitude (towards a paying customer), I might consider switching to alternative provider that actually gives me the features I'm looking for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jabalsad: I'm sorry you feel that way. But in reality, you're the only one who knows the specifics at this point, so without getting that information from you the only thing we can do is keep trying to make general improvements to 1Password. I'll be more than happy to investigate to help with the actual issues you're having, which would benefit you, the customer, much more than it would benefit me, and has the potential of helping others encountering the same or similar problem. But I do need more information to be able to do that. It's not feasible for us to add features on demand, as that requires development and testing, nor is it reasonable for us to make changes blindly without understanding the "why" behind them. I'm sorry that's not the answer you were hoping for, but I'll be happy to help if you'll give me the details.

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. For example, we use a product called PasswordState which will be at an internal company url, and I have to use another browser to use it, because the website and 1Password fights like two racoons in a bag, leaving the site unuseable.

In a perfect world 1Password would work well with all sites, but we all know the world is far from perfect. Please provide a way to disable 1Password on problematic sites.

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

I'd be happy to provide some HTML for you to investigate why 1Password and the site don't seem to work together, but you mention scaling yourself. Having to report each ill-behaved website to 1password scales really terrible, and is definetely not user-focused. So again I beg you to provide an option to disable 1Password on problematic sites.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your input, @trondhindenes! We'll take it into considerations when making future improvements to 1Password X. In the meantime, you're welcome to share the HTML for the website that you're having trouble with. You're welcome to send anything you cannot post in the forum to support+x@1password.com with a link to this forum post in the body. Just to be sure, is it a website or a product you're using? You had mentioned product, so I wasn't sure if it was another extension/app or something along those lines.

I'm also curious what's actually going wrong when you try to use this product with 1Password X enabled. Is the 1Password icon appearing in fields that you don't want them to or is there something else going on that's causing the two to fight? There are ways to disable the 1Password X inline menu temporarily, so I'm wondering if that'd help in this case. Let me know!

• jabalsad
    jabalsad
    Community Member

Sorry, took a while for me to respond to this issue. I just realized I paid for 1password for a year so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot disable 1password to show any icons, or run any javascript on some websites. In some cases the 1password JS breaks functionality on the website, in other cases it is annoying, and in yet other cases there are security reasons why I don't want 1password to be associated with that domain. The point I'm making is that it should be my decision whether I want 1password to be running on that domain or not. I don't reasonably expect you to solve all these underlying problems, as it will be a game of whack-a-mole.

My feature request is not for you to fix the above issues, my feature request is for you to provide me with a way to prevent 1password from running at all on certain domains/websites. I am not being unrealistic when making this feature request either: I don't expect you to work on it immediately and simply implement it, I expect you to recognize that my feature request is very much a valid use-case. Here's a quick search around your forums for customers with similar problems:

When I say you're not being customer focused, what I mean by that is this: customer comes to you with problem A, and provider responds with question "Oh, but why don't you provide us more details about problems X, Y and Z so we can fix those, which may alleviate problem A in some cases". Customer never asked for problems X, Y and Z to be solved - the problem the customer has is A. I recognize the customer doesn't always know what they want, but it's pretty clear in this instance that all I'm really asking for is a solution to problem A.

• jabalsad
    jabalsad
    Community Member

A small side point worth mentioning is, this should probably be a built-in browser feature (disabling extensions on some domains), but I can't seem to get that to work either. If you had offered this as a solution, I would gladly accept it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jabalsad: Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Indeed, the thing that you're actually asking for just isn't feasible. I could see where it might make sense for browsers to have a feature to disable certain extensions on certain domains. And, ultimately, that's the only way that what you're describing would work. The 1Password extension would actually need to be running Javascript in order to even determine which site it is and if it should "disable" itself, which it could not do, and at that point it's already running there anyway. The only thing we could potentially have 1Password do is -- rather than not run at all -- disable some features (e.g. the inline icons, etc.), which is something a few folks have requested. But fundamentally if the problem your'e running into is that 1Password is having bad interactions with certain websites, the only real solution (besides manually disabling it yourself while you're on the site) would be for us to find a way to avoid that in our code. That may not be possible, depending on what's happening, but if you'll let us know the URL we can investigate.

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

....and we just went full circle with the last comment from 1password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome to share some specific examples of 1Password causing issues on websites so we can investigate. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

omg. I don't even.... that was the whole point I was making above. The whole "share some example urls" doesnt work because some urls are company-internal so you cant reach them at all.

When paying customers are trying to do the right thing and provide helpful suggestions the least you can do is to read the entire thread.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@trondhindenes – I wanted to make sure you saw my comment here. I had some questions for you to help us get to the bottom of the issue you're experiencing.

We understand the underlying request for the ability to disable 1Password X on select websites. The feedback is already been passed along to our developers. If you'd like me to take a look at your situation, in particular, please see my last comment to you.

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

Thanks kaitlyn, I did see your comment but I didn't respond - sorry for that. I guess it boils down to philsophical differences. Whenever I'm faced with a problematic website, I don't have to send the html to you or anything like that - I want to disable the extension for that website and get on with my life. I'd be fine with you collecting some metrics regarding disabled websites so you could build some data around known problematic sites etc.

I've looked around a bit today and as far as I can see several of 1password's competitors offer a simple way to disable the extension, so I don't understand why you're unwilling to add this feature (when users are clearly asking for it).

I got some tips today to use different profiles or private mode in my browser, and those are imho very non-optimal workarounds. I just want this to not be a problem, and 1password doesn't let me :-(

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

That's totally fine, @trondhindenes. I truly do see where you're coming from. In fact, I'm a big advocate for a feature along the lines of the one you're requesting. The biggest driver for me is pretty much exactly what you already mentioned – "In a perfect world 1Password would work well with all sites, but we all know the world is far from perfect."

I haven't denied that we'll ever come out with a feature like this in the future or said that we're unwilling to add it. I can imagine that it would be more like disabling the inline menu (the option underneath/inside fields) on certain websites rather than disabling the entire extension, but I think it would still suffice for what you're looking for. What's important to us is that we come up with a feature that'll meet our high security standards, and it's something that we'll continue striving for. Again, thank you for your feedback. It's much appreciated.

ref: xplatform/xplatform#227

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trondhindenes: My point earlier, which I will totally admit to having explained poorly, is that the feature you're asking for is a lie. The extension has to be running on the site in order to determine that the user doesn't want it running on the site. So even if we offered a "disable 1Password at this URL" or something, it's not really disabled, because 1Password can't offer you that or any functionality unless it is enabled. Counterintuitive, and confusing, but that's what we're talking about here. :) The only way to actually disable an extension is in the browser itself, which does not offer the granularity of disabling extensions only on certain sites; they're either enabled or they're not. What you could do though is keep 1Password disabled in incognito windows (which is the default in Chrome), and then go to the specific sites you don't want to have 1Password running on in an incognito window. I know it doesn't match the idea you have in mind, but it has the benefit of being not only possible but also usable today. :+1:

• trondhindenes
    trondhindenes
    Community Member

fair enough @brenty, but that's semantics. "Disabled" in this context would mean "not interact with the html". I dont care if the underlying extension is completely disabled or simply "passive", I just need 1Password to stop trying to interact with a few known problematic sites.

• Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• JensGabe
    JensGabe
    Community Member

Any feedback in relation to when/if this "Ignore" feature will be available?
    I see the feature as being what was in the desktop extension "Don't autosave to these domains": https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/10847/chrome-browser-extension-block-localhost

• Hi @JensGabe

From the 1Password X 1.17.0 release notes:

⛔️ You can temporarily disable the inline icon and menu on specific pages (until you restart your browser)

and

"Hide on this page" option stops the inline icon and menu from appearing on specific pages until you restart your browser. {#227}

Have you tried the latest version?

Ben

• JensGabe
    JensGabe
    Community Member

Just saw it. But it would be great if it could be a persisted setting!
    As I'm developing/debugging on localhost, this will be something I potentially will have to do multiple times every day.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@JensGabe – I agree! You can think of the current feature as "version 1," as we're still making improvements, but we wanted to get it out there so folks could use what we've got so far.

Just curious, when you say you'll have to do it multiple times every day, is that because you're quitting Chrome frequently or because you're dealing with many different website URLs?

I'm also wondering where you're seeing the 1Password inline menu appear in fields that it shouldn't. It's even more important that we know about those so we can hopefully resolve the root issue rather than masking it with a way to ignore the field. If it's a localhost site where it's appearing, could you let me know the HTML for the field? If it's a production website, the URL would be handy. Thank you!

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

"As I'm developing/debugging on localhost, this will be something I potentially will have to do multiple times every day."

+1 to this. I'm in the same boat!

• Thanks for chiming in @swrobel. We'll look into how we can make this more convenient. :)

Ben

• bittercold
    bittercold
    Community Member

I am also interested in a persistent way to disable the extension on internal urls for my company.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your use case with us @bittercold! :+1:

• mannym122
    mannym122
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I appreciate you guys adding the "Hide" feature in the latest versions of 1PasswordX. However, I find myself doing it every day since it does not persist across Chrome restarts.

Below is the HTML of some problematic fields on a website I frequent. It is a private usenet indexer, so it is not public and I could not share the link with you. The text fields are for inputting IMDB and TVDB IDs and 1password seems to think it's password related and the inline icon shows up.

<input type="text" name="imdbid" id="rematch_imdbid" value="" style="border: 1px solid #e2e2e2; width: 55px; height: 22px; text-align: right; padding: 0 4px;" onchange="$.post('/rematch.cfm?lookup', {'imdbid':this.value}, function(data) { $('#autocomplete_imdbid').val(data); });">

<input type="text" name="name_imdb" id="autocomplete_imdbid" value="" style="border: 1px solid #e2e2e2; width: 380px; height: 22px; padding: 0 4px;" class="ui-autocomplete-input" autocomplete="off" role="textbox" aria-autocomplete="list" aria-haspopup="true">

<input type="text" name="imdbid" id="rematch_imdbid_31394832" value="4523530" style="border: 1px solid #e2e2e2; width: 65px; height: 22px; text-align: right; padding: 0 4px;" onchange="$.post('/rematch.cfm?lookup', {'imdbid':this.value}, function(data) { $('#autocomplete_imdbid_31394832').val(data); updateName('31394832'); });">

<input type="text" name="tvdbid" id="rematch_tvdbID" value="" style="border: 1px solid #e2e2e2; width: 55px; height: 22px; text-align: right; padding: 0 4px;" onchange="if (this.value < 70000) alert('TVRAGE ids are not being used, use TheTVDB instead.'); $.post('/rematch.cfm?lookup', {'tvdbid':this.value}, function(data) { $('#autocomplete_tvdbID').val(data); });">

Let me know if you need any more info. It may be worth nothing that 1PasswordX only started showing up in these fields very recently (about a few weeks ago).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mannym122 ,

Our latest beta version of 1Password X contains a great feature that will prevent 1Password X from showing up in fields with the "autocomplete=off" tag if there is not a visible password field on the page. That should take care of the fields your showing here. You can test it right now by installing 1Password X beta and let us know if that works better:

This will probably reach the stable version in the next update.

This discussion has been closed.