I have a 6-month old Time Machine backup for my Mac; how do I restore my 1Password data?

Options

I just got my MacBook Pro back from the shop, and have some (but not all) recovered data on an external drive, and a Time Machine backup (6-months old, but still fairly current) on another external drive. What are my options for recovering my 1Password data? THANKS!!!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:MacOS crash recovery

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi @BruceRawles

With 1Password 6 the answer depends on where you purchased & downloaded 1Password from. The data will be stored in one of two folders.

Mac App Store version:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

AgileBits Store version:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

ref: NPJ-74726-785

• BruceRawles
    BruceRawles
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben:

So far so good... On the 6-month-old Time Machine backup, I see a variety of files in these folders under
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/:

b5PendingFileUpload (empty folder)
    Backups (several dozen 1Password...1p4.zip files)
    Data (OnePassword.sqlite-wal
    OnePassword.sqlite-shm
    OnePassword.sqlite
    ___.blob2 (6 files with that suffix)
    B5.sqlite-wal
    B5.sqlite-shm
    B5.sqlite
    Watchtower (vuln.sqlite)

So do I just use finder or Time Machine to restore these files, and if so where? ... or is there a utility in 1Password to import this data? Please advise. MANY thanks!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BruceRawles:

Yes, you can restore the entire folder, in the same location that you see in the Time Machine backup :)

• BruceRawles
    BruceRawles
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll try that... I found a much more recent backup and tried copying (using Finder, not Time Machine) the contents from Users/BruceRawles/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 to the same folder. There wasn't much data in that, so I went back to the 6 month old backup, and that DID work by using the 1Password 6 import option. I kept trying the "Older 1Password" option which didn't work because it didn't show the hidden files, but 1Password 6 import option DID work; hooray!!! That will save me MANY further hours of "lost password" work. MUCH appreciated!!! :-)

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear you've made some progress! :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.