1Password won't fill after upgrading OS

Options
jdirt007
jdirt007
Community Member

I am trying to get clarification surrounding what is now happening to my 1password. It seems as if I can no longer use the license/original purchase from the Mac App Store. Is that correct?

I have been a user for several years. I originally purchased from the App Store for $49.99 (I believe). I have waded my way through upgrades over the years. It seems like every time I need help, I always get pushed to 1password 7, which looks like it requires a monthly subscription. I don't like subscriptions. I feel like I'm getting subscribed to death. I get the added benefits, but is there any way to still use the license I originally purchased. All of my logins are in my Dropbox account and seem to be current. However, they are read only and the extension for Safari and Chrome will not work, probably because it is the extension for 1password 7. But when I try to download earlier versions of 1password, I can't seem to get the older extension to install. Thank you in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 6.8.8
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jdirt007

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. Without either a 1Password 7 license or a membership you cannot make any changes to your data or use the browser extensions.

We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees).

If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jdirt007
    jdirt007
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the advice. If I upgraded to 1password 7, is there a way to get into the vault I now have or do I have to manually transfer over to that program? I think that question is a little silly, because I am sure there is a way. But I just wanted to make sure. I like the option of doing the service for my family as well. So, I can share some passwords with my kids but not other passwords I don't want them to have? And, they can have their own vault as well that I can manage if need be? Sorry for all of the questions.

• Ben
    Options

@jdirt007

I appreciate the advice. If I upgraded to 1password 7, is there a way to get into the vault I now have or do I have to manually transfer over to that program?

1Password 7 will automagically pick up your 1Password 6 data. If you decide to move to membership we have a guide that can help here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I like the option of doing the service for my family as well. So, I can share some passwords with my kids but not other passwords I don't want them to have?

Correct. We have a guide on this here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

And, they can have their own vault as well that I can manage if need be?

Yes and no. Each family member has their own Personal vault that is not visible to anyone else, and cannot be shared. Additionally each can have access to any number of shared vaults.

I appreciate the advice.

You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.