Screen sharing permission for 2FA QR code scanning.

Is there any way administrators of Macs can grant screen sharing permission in MacOS Catalina without allowing their users access to the Security and Privacy section of System Preferences?

Background:

We have restricted the Security and Privacy section of System Preferences in MacOS so that our users cannot make changes or even see restrictions in that panel. Due to MacOS Catalina's new Transparent controls (TCC), the user must be presented with a dialogue to grant screen sharing capabilities. However, rather than just an "Allow" button, the prompt we get from 1Password when attempting to scan a QR code to add a 2FA login requires the user to go into that restricted panel.

As such, our users cannot use this feature.

Is there any work around? I noticed another app (Zoom) allows the user to simply click an allow button to grant this feature and does not require access to Security and Privacy.

Any help would be awesome!

Thank you,

Lance Hemby

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1Password X
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15
Sync Type: 1Password.com Business account

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Hi @lancehemby

At the moment... there isn't anything like that, that I'm aware of. However, this is very interesting:

I noticed another app (Zoom) allows the user to simply click an allow button to grant this feature and does not require access to Security and Privacy.

I've asked our development team to look into that. Perhaps we can do something similar.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4304

This discussion has been closed.