1Password 6 extension for Safari not showing up.

It was working fine until today then it disappeared.

I'm on MacOS Mojave version 10.14. Safari 12. 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9.

First I tried going to safari extensions link on app store but I don't see the 1Password 6 extension there.
https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

I also went to this link and tried downloading a build there but nothing shows up.
https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4#v4070590

It asks Would you like to install version 4.7.4 of “1Password” from the Safari Extensions Gallery? After clicking "Install from gallery" nothing happens, or shows up. I've restarted my mac even nothing still.

It doesn't show up under safari - preferences - extensions or under "customize toolbar"

Safari 12. MacOS Mojave 10.14. 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9.

Would appreciate any help, I've been a customer for a long time.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@turn2s: Sorry for the confusion. Apple's Safari Extensions Gallery and the old extensions hosted there are no longer available.

Back at WWDC 2018 Apple announced that the Safari Extension Gallery -- the source of all the old ".safariextz" extensions -- since Safari 12 and later use the newer Safari App Extensions built into apps themselves (like 1Password 7, for the past year), and it appears that's finally happened. With the impending release of Safari 13, which requires the newer extensions, in beta since June, we've been trying to get folks to update to prepare for that as well:

Safari 13 is awesome, but 1Password 6 users need to upgrade to enjoy it

So you'd need to either upgrade to 1Password 7, which fully supports the latest Safari and macOS releases, or use a different browser with 1Password 6 (though we can't recommend sticking with an outdated OS and browser on an ongoing basis, since then you'll be missing out on important security fixes).

While you can't install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari anymore, we're here to make your life as easy as possible. So let us know if you have any questions. :)

For more info: 1Password 6 legacy support information

• pmichalski
    pmichalski
    Community Member

So much for "buying" 1Password back when you guys were relatively new. Seems like just another scheme for "forcing" legacy customers into a subscription model. Nice way to treat the customers who supported you in the early days. Sorry 1Password but I will be looking for a new password manager.

• I hope you're able to find a password manager that more closely meets your needs, and am sorry to hear that 1Password is no longer it.

Ben

• okpass
    okpass
    Community Member

Hi,
    Why do you then support other browsers, but not Safari 13?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @okpass! Welcome to the forum!

We have written an article about this, which you can find here.

Please let us know if you have any questions about it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@okpass: To clarify, 1Password works a fairly diverse range of browsers, but any changes to support for the latest versions of those will be in the latest version of 1Password, not an outdated release. Old versions of 1Password can work with newer OS/browser versions when they have not changed in such a way that breaks things. For example, Chrome on macOS has not changed in such a way that 1Password 6 can no longer connect to it -- yet. But it's fairly inevitable that incompatibilities will develop over time if you're updating your browser/OS (which is important for security) if you're not also updating 1Password so it can accommodate those changes as well.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member

@turn2s: The 1Password 6 extensions (from the version history page) appear to download properly for me; I don't know why you're having an issue with the download.

Nevertheless, once you have the desired extension in hand, look here for instructions on installing it under Mojave: https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/install-any-safari-extension-macos-mojave/

• We cannot support circumvention of Safari's systems, and any unintentional consequences of such actions are at the user's own risk.

Ben

• kp56
    kp56
    Community Member

So I am forced to buy 1Password7 - this hurts after being a supporter for many years...

• Hi @kp56

I'm not sure I follow. Being a supporter would seemingly mean buying new versions when they become available?

Ben

• kp56
    kp56
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I supply an App for Volunteer First Responders and do so for free - with updates - so i suppose I have a different point of view, also the way the Austraia Dollar has tumbled against the US$ Version 7 is an expensive option - thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

@kp56

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. 1Password provides value on an ongoing basis in a number of ways including through continuous improvements to the software and service as well as secure storage of data (all of which come to us at a recurring cost). 1Password is a full time career for a growing number of people. 1Password is what we do. The only revenue we bring in is through people paying for 1Password. We don’t sell ads and we don’t sell customer data. We need to pay our people a wage that incentivizes them (us) to continue to effort toward the goal of providing the best password manager. In addition we want to be able to offer opportunities to talented folks who can help us move forward, and if we want to be able to recruit talent we have to be able to be in a position to offer competative salaries.

It is great that you're able to develop and support an app on an ongoing basis with no direct cost to volunteers. As the Assistant Chief of a volunteer fire department, I especially appreciate that there are folks like yourself doing that. There are certainly other ways to make money with apps besides charging end users, and not every app developer is developing their app as a full-time career. We are, and we feel that we've picked the best business model to protect customer privacy while still making fair wages for our people.

As far as the currency conversion is concerned... it is possible to subscribe through the App Store in AUD directly, which may help offset some of the cost.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• k1n4
    k1n4
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    I think that you and your staff have a lot of technical reason, in terms of internet security for our password but for customers like us that have paid for your product, don't allow us to use it anymore, it's not a correct behaviour.
    I'm a little developer too and i know that there is a great job behind an application.
    I think that i could speak for all that users that support your job for years, we only expected a different treatment; for example, a standalone license in a single solution pay with a discount code or similar...
    Force old customers (not business customers) to sign-in a year subscription in a period where pay for all subscriptions seems like to pay for another mortgage, it's not a good idea.
    Greetings

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Some people are still using 1Password 6 with outdated browser/OS versions. It's entirely outside of our control at this point, as we have not done anything to make 1Password stop working in newer versions which are not compatible because they have changed substantially. Ironically it is a subscription that would solve all of this for you: we'd get paid for ongoing work which you would like to benefit from, and you'd be getting all of the latest updates to 1Password. Paying for a standalone license is supporting us once, not "for years", just as when you get a single paycheck -- except a license is much less money and yet lasts longer. ;) But if you'd like to transition to a 1Password membership, please reach out to sales@1password.com with the details we'll see if there's a promotion you'd be eligible for. :)

This discussion has been closed.