New business user confused about the desktop app, the Chrome extensions, autofill not always showing

Options
nixian
nixian
Community Member

Hi,

We've recently done the switch over the 1Password. We have multiple accounts, all running the latest desktop app (7.3.2) on the Mac (Catalina) and nothing seems to be working as expected.

Autofill not showing up
When I visit a login page, the blue circle doesn't show up in the username field as it should. Nothing it auto-filling. We have to manually copy-paste emails from the desktop app. It's a pain in the ass.

The Chrome icon is a light grey instead of solid blue.

Wonky Workaround
In order to get things working as we'd like them to work, we've also installed 1Password X. This allows us to autofill more easily but causes a whole bunch of other issues. The desktop app now prompts us to install the Chrome Extension whenever we open it.

We're surely doing something wrong here.

This is happening on all three user accounts associated with our business account. It's getting increasingly frustrating, especially since we work in web development and normally have a pretty good understanding of this sort of thing.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 and 1.16.2
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:greyed out

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @nixian

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password X and 1Password 7 are typically an either / or sort of situation right now. We are working on building desktop app integration into 1Password X so that it can "talk" to 1Password 7, and that functionality is in public beta testing. For now though I would recommend either 1Password X, or 1Password 7 with its companion extension. 1Password 7 doesn't have any UI within web pages like 1Password X does. Instead you activate it either by clicking on the 1Password icon in the menu bar or using the keyboard shortcut ( ⌘ \ ).

Ben

• nixian
    nixian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben! That definitely helps clarify things. The few tutorial videos I watched didn't mention that shortcut and I assumed that the greyed out icon meant "disabled" as it's normally understood. This helps a lot. Thanks. Looking forward to smoother integrations to come!

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear that information was helpful. :) And yes, 1Password X having desktop integration in the future should be pretty slick. :sunglasses:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.