My 1Password search results include unrelated items

Options
ericsh
ericsh
Community Member

Hi, I tried searching for logins referencing "facebook" in the 1Password App, but when I type in that search term, I get several hits that have nothing to do with facebook, nor do they include that term in them.

1Password 7
Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
1Password Store

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:search results incorrect

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericsh - I'm sorry for the confusion. Search may not return exactly the results you expect, depending on parameters set as well as on what Categories of items we return search results for. What kinds of items are these that show up in a search for facebook but have nothing to do with Facebook? Are they Credit Cards? Identities? Login or Password items? Other items?

• I_am_not_a_robot
    I_am_not_a_robot
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I also experience this problem. I was able to narrow it down to the search returning entries that used to contain the phrase I am searching for in the non-password parts, e.g. in the predefined "notes" part. It happens on my Mac and iPad versions. Mac version is the one I make most modifications on and I never make manual changes to the non-password parts of the entries on the iPad version - yet it still shows unrelated results the same way as the Mac version does.

I found out the problem does not exist when searching on the 1password.com site or on an Android phone.

To recap:

• Mac version finds entries that contained the phrase in the "notes" part in the past but do not contain it now.
    • iPad version does the same (even though I never made edits to the "notes" on iPad).
    • I use only the Mac version to modify entries' non-password parts.
    • 1password.com and Android versions' do not return results in the search that contained the phrase in the past, i.e. they behave as they should.

1Password Mac: 7.3.2 (MacOS 10.14.6)
    1Password iPad: 7.4.2 (iPadOS 13.1.3)
    Android 1Password: 7.3.2 (Android 9, Samsung S9+)

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

@lars, there are 11 false hits on "facebook", all login items. Some are in my 1password.com vault, and others in my iCloud vault. Some are old items and others are brand new.

Unlike @I_am_not_a_robot I cannot correlate it to previously deleted notes or anything like that.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

If you click on the magnifying glass in the search field... is it set to search all fields? When 1Password saves a login item it captures all fields that are part of the form. If, for example, the website in question offers logging in via Facebook, there may be fields related to that on the page that 1Password is going to capture. If you have 1Password set to search all fields, then it may be finding such fields. You may want to adjust the search options to only search major fields.

Ben

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, mine was in fact set to "All Fields". When I switched it to "Major Fields" the "false" hits went away! This is very helpful, thanks. BTW, I did look at the "saved form details" of some of the false hits and there was nothing referencing facebook there. Is there additional info 1Password captures that's not displayed?

Also, the way the search box works has apparently changed. There used to be an option to search titles only (which is what I thought I had in effect), but now that only seems available when selecting "Show Search Options" which opens a detailed search interface. I would really like to be able to not only quickly select "Search Titles Only", but to make it be my default. I therefore request that option be added to the magnifying glass dropdown.

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@ericsh

The "major fields" setting should be remembered. It is possible there is data that is captured that doesn't appear in the form details, but I couldn't say for certain that is the case.

Ben

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, that does seem to be the case.

What does "major fields" cover and how does it compare to "titles only"? I'd still like to see the "titles only" as an option I can set that would be remembered, as was possible in earlier versions.

Thanks.

-Eric

• I_am_not_a_robot
    I_am_not_a_robot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben.

It helped on the MacOS application, thank you! The iPad app, hovewer, does not let me choose which fields to search. I guess the default search setting here (All Fields) is different here from the Android app (Major Fields).

• Ben
    Options

@ericsh

I don't recall off hand which fields it covers... I want to say it is titles, websites (URLs), usernames, and passwords. I'll pass along the feedback about a "titles only" option.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@I_am_not_a_robot

Thanks for the update. iOS has a "search titles" / "search everything" option:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• I_am_not_a_robot
    I_am_not_a_robot
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

I noticed the switch and I am using it. However, the "Search everything" is sometimes often incredibly useful (to me) but it does the implicit history searching on iPad no matter what. Not a big issue but maybe some day you will change it so it does not search by deleted content.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @I_am_not_a_robot. I'll pass along the feedback. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.