Browser plugin does not work on limited user account

Hello,
I switched from Lastpass to 1Password to be compatible with my wife. We use a family account. I am using a Win10 laptop, that is managed by my workplace. Although I am able to add the 1Password plugin to Firefox, the icon is greyed out and I cannot use it. I have alsoan admin account on this laptop and using this account, the 1Password plugin works as expected. However, we are by policy not allowed to use admin accounts for day-to-day work (and to make sure that this is obeyed, e.g. wireless access (via Eduroam) does not work for admin accounts). How do I set up 1Password that I can use it as a limited user? BTW: The Lastpass plugin works without problems under the same limited account.
Regards,
Michael Jeltsch
http://mjlab.fi

PS: What is Sync type?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• mjeltsch
    mjeltsch
    Community Member

Some more info: Trying to install 1Password as the limited user fails due to group policy. When I run the installer "Run as Administrator", it simply opens the 1Password instance, that was installed under the admin account.

• mjeltsch
    mjeltsch
    Community Member

This is the error when trying to install 1Password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mjeltsch,

If you are unable to install apps and programs on this computer, please try to install 1Password X. It works entirely in your browser and is available in Chrome and Firefox.

Let me know if you are able install this extension. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• mjeltsch
    mjeltsch
    Community Member

Yes. That works. I am still confused about 1Password, 1PasswordX, 1Password browser extension, etc. Only getting clear slowly...

• One of the original goals of 1Password X's was actually to cover exactly these sorts of situations, @mjeltsch. Some folks can't install apps on work devices at all, others have GPO restrictions that limit functionality, and some folks run operating systems like Linux or ChromeOS where we don't have a desktop app available. 1Password X was designed to work better in restricted environments and without any help from the desktop app so folks in these situations had an option to use 1Password across devices and environments.

Now because 1Password X can be used without the desktop app, you don't necessarily need 1Password for Windows on any device where you're using 1Password X. But, that's up to you. Personally, I use 1Password X alongside the desktop app. I find I prefer using the desktop app for things like editing items, uploading Documents and adding tags, but I much prefer how 1Password X fills. So, both works best for me, but you might be different. It's ultimately a judgment call and my recommendation is always to start off with both. If you find you're never opening the desktop app later on, just get rid of it. And, of course, you can feel free to set up other devices the same as this one for the sake of consistency. You absolutely don't need to be in a restricted environment to use 1Password X and I and many others absolutely do use it in places where we'd have other options and that's a-okay. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.