Set up a new vault for elderly parents?

Options
mattsb99
mattsb99
Community Member

My parents have email accounts, bank accounts, etc. that require passwords and other information to access them. I need to access them, with their approval, so that I can pay bills on their behalf, set up auto-payments, etc. One is blind and doesn't have a phone or computer to use, but whose long time assistant still has access to the email, and the other can't remember how to use her computer. Should I set up a vault for each or use their Initials as the start of each entry in 1PW to look them up that way. I don't mind copying and pasting.They won't be using !PW and I'd like to eliminate the little password book or at least have my own secure storage method. Sharing with my sister who puts in even more work than I do would be a nice addition.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OSX 10.15
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattsb99: Good question! Thanks for reaching out. Ultimately it's sort of up to you and your family how you end up doing things, as there is no one-size-fits-all procure for handling these sorts of things, as no individual and their family dynamic is the same as everyone else's. That said, 1Password Families gives you a lot of great tools to use. It sounds like maybe you wouldn't want/need to invite your parents to setup their own accounts under a family membership, but creating separate vaults for their stuff would allow you to keep it separate, access it when you need to, and also share with your sister -- and other family members, if you wish.

It sounds like it's maybe not something you will do, but perhaps in the future it might be useful too, so I'll mention it. In addition to inviting "regular" family members, which have their own Private vault in addition to any others shared with them, you can invite guests which have access to only a single vault you share with them. So, if it did make sense at any point for your parents to be able to access the data in 1Password too, they can have their own account and then you can simply grant them access to the vault you've been maintaining for them.

Each family member you invite gets all the latest 1Password apps so they can use it on all their devices, automatic offsite backup for their encrypted 1Password data, and all the other features and benefits of a 1Password membership. Even if they are not comfortable with computers, we've got great apps that many people enjoy using on mobile devices they're more comfortable with. More secure and convenient than a little password book! You and your sister could maintain the data for them, so they can access it as needed, in cases where they need to do something themselves.

Anyway, these are all just suggestions from my own experience with my own family and helping other 1Password users. I'm sure you'll have some follow up questions, so just let me know and we'll go from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.