To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password not accepted during upgrade from 6 to 7

zx9r
zx9r
Community Member

I'm attempting to upgrade from a standalone ver 6 (Mac, iOS) to ver 7 subscription. Following your instructions, I installed ver 7 on my Mac and set up the online account. The online account didn't allow me to use the same Master password I have been using for ver 6 due to it not being 10 characters. So I used a created a new password for the online account.

Of course, since I installed ver 7 per your instructions, I can no longer open my ver 6 app or data to change the Master password to match the new one...

Now I don't seem to be able to migrate my data from 6 to 7. When I try to manually import from ver 7 app, all the ver 6 backup files are greyed out so I can't select anything.

[Incredible how complex you've made this process... I attempted this a year ago and gave up and reverted back to ver 6. Hoped things would be resolved by now... I work in the software industry and we offer perpetual and cloud apps so I can't imagine how a computer novice is handling this]

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:master password too short

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zx9r!

Of course, since I installed ver 7 per your instructions, I can no longer open my ver 6 app or data to change the Master password to match the new one...

Can you please clarify on why you cannot do this anymore? What happens exactly when you try to open version 6?

Now I don't seem to be able to migrate my data from 6 to 7. When I try to manually import from ver 7 app, all the ver 6 backup files are greyed out so I can't select anything.

[Incredible how complex you've made this process... I attempted this a year ago and gave up and reverted back to ver 6. Hoped things would be resolved by now... I work in the software industry and we offer perpetual and cloud apps so I can't imagine how a computer novice is handling this]

I think that the problem is that you are trying to restore from a backup, but that's not necessary. I wonder if you were trying to do the same thing a year ago. The easiest method is to add your 1Password account to the 1Password app and move the items over.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Hi -- Different than a year ago but let me explain better:

Once I installed ver 7, ver 6 is no longer available to run (unless it has been moved to somewhere else on my drive). So I have no running version of 1Password to move the items from to the new account. Since ver 6 is unavailable, the only place I see my existing data is in Backups. In other words, ver 7 didn't open the older ver 6 file when it started

thanks,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r:

Once I installed ver 7, ver 6 is no longer available to run (unless it has been moved to somewhere else on my drive).

Unless you manually moved 1Password 6 to the trash, if you look inside your Applications folder you should see a zipped file with your 1Password 6 app ;) You can then do the migration from there if you prefer.

When you install 1Password 7, unless you removed the 1Password 6 data folder, 1Password 7 should automatically load your 1Password 6 data.

Otherwise, if you want to do this directly within 1Password 7, you can add your 1Password account there, then click on File in the menu bar > Import... and select 1Password 6 in the list. You can then select your 1Password 6 data folder there.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Thanks Ana -- I've successfully unzipped and started ver 6. I changed the master pw to the same as I setup for the 1password.com account now.

When I start ver 7 and select 1Password 6 from the Import dialog, all the files are greyed out still. Perhaps I need to navigate to a different folder? What will the file name be?

tx

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r:

If you have 1Password 6 back up and running, perhaps it will be easier to do the migration there ;) In 1Password 6, first add your 1Password account to the app, and then move your data.

In 1Password 7, you can now simply add your 1Password account (the same way you did it in 1Password 6), and all your data will be there.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

ok, have all of existing data into web account and see it in ver 7 app on Mac now. Thanks!!

I want to keep one vault syncing with 1PW.com and another syncing with iCloud. Possible?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r:

You can do that, although we don't recommend it unless absolutely necessary. It will be easy to get confused and end up storing data in the wrong vault, so please be careful if you decide to do this. It might be simpler to create additional vaults directly on 1Password.com.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Thanks. Good to know it is possible. How do I set up just one of them with iCloud when there are no "sync" settings in Preferences?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r:

Under 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab, please enable the option Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts ;)

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Perfect! I saw that but was hesitant to select it since I thought it might disconnect the 1PW account. Thanks again for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.