I need to use my saved passwords on a public computer (university library) but ...

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I’m not willing to log into 1Password on a public computer. Is there any kind of workaround for this?

I log into Chrome at University by typing my username and then Google sends a confirmation to my phone and I’m logged on. I can then access a limited few stored passwords (university lan logins etc) that I entered into Chrome from my home computer which then syncs to any Chrome browser I log. No entered passwords required to access Chrome on the public computer at all and then Chrome auto fill my logins which save my exposing the passwords to a keyboard. I don’t know I’m just living a delusion by thinking that’s in someway secure but it feels like it. I know the uni management uses key loggers but they’re not really the ones I’m worried about, so I have no real idea whether my kind of workaround is really secure ie I don’t know who or what’s been installed on the library computer and it’s capabilities.

Is there a way I could use 1Password instead of Chrome or Firefox, without having to type in a password? I’m comfortable using 1Pass for my personal stuff on my own technology but on a more public computer I’m not at all comfortable. I can, in a pinch, open 1Pass on my phone, look at the password and type it in on the other screen, however that’s pretty annoying because I maxed out the password length as 1Pass is doing all the energy taxing remembering. However, I just end up making a much weaker password that’s easier to spell out in my mind when I’m copying it over from phone to computer ... and I’m back to the reason I wanted a password program in the first place.

Could I put my uni lan/bookshop logins in a second vault and opens auto fill passwords after a confirmation by MS Authenticator from my Blackberry etc? or an email to iApple and a thumbprint or facial scan like Firefox’s system?

Is there a better way for me to use 1Pass so I can use it without manually transcribing from my tech to the public one?

If you can suggest better management for me, I’d love to use it.

Cheers
Hemmer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hemmer: You're certainly right to be concerned! Indeed, I'd suggest using a mobile device to access information you need. We definitely don't recommend accessing 1Password on an untrusted machine. And it sounds like you may be using two-factor authentication for your Google Account already, which will be especially important in that kind of situation. There's a risk to signing into any account in that environment but 1) having it be something specific to school (so, not as critical as banking or something) and 2) knowing exactly which account(s) you signed into there by virtue of having to look up the information on your mobile device and type it (which lets you know which passwords you may need to change later) helps. Using random-but-memorable word-based passwords generated by 1Password for an account which you know you will need to access that way regularly will help a lot too -- still secure, but much easier to type. It sounds like that's what will help you the most. You can select that when generating a new password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.