Does an app called IdeaShared have anything to do with AgileBits? [We have no association]

JakeLonergan
JakeLonergan
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

Since I downloaded 1Password 7 something called IdeaShared keeps downloading itself to my iMac. I can throw it away but if I let the iMac go to sleep it just downloads and installs itself. Anything to do with you guys?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Ideashared

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JakeLonergan!

No, IdeaShared is not a part of 1Password. I recommend doing a malware scan on your computer if this is not something you know either.

• sydneynamie
    sydneynamie
    Community Member

Hey! @JakeLonergan I have this on my mac as well. I was trying to search the internet for answers. My mac won't let me download any malware scans. I've tried three different kinds. A white loading screen pops up along with the System Information, and then of course IdeaShared. This also has changed my regular go-to search engine from google to yahoo on safari and I am unable to connect to internet on Origin. Please let me know if you find a solution!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear about this, I hope you will be able to find a solution.

• JakeLonergan
    JakeLonergan
    Community Member

@sydneynamie Isn’t it weird there seems to be no mention of IdeaShared anywhere on the internet? My search engine remained DuckDuckGo but maybe I trashed the infestation before it had a chance to do much (not much hope of that, I’m changing all my banking passwords). I also tried Google, btw. I did note that all my devices suddenly had the guest network as the default so I “forgot” that network and have not seen the download in the two days since I made he change back to my primary network.

I had a BUNCH of trouble downloading and installing the paid version of Sophos the other day. After the first scan it showed no problems but this may be so new it’s not in the virus definitions yet.

Btw, did your problem seemingly coincide with the 1Password 7 download, too? ag_ana, it may just be coincidental, I’m just trying to establish a timeline here.

• JakeLonergan
    JakeLonergan
    Community Member

Ag_ana, is it normal that 1Password starts up for a few moments every time I start my iMac? Nothing comes up on the desktop but 1Password 7 shows up in the far left of the menu bar (as though the app was running) and the little dot shows up below the 1Password 7 icon in the dock for a few then they both disappear.

• If you believe you may have malware on your system that your anti-virus package isn't picking up and removing it may be worth consulting with a local computer repair shop. Apple's ACN program may be a good place to start:

Find Your Local Apple Consultant

Ag_ana, is it normal that 1Password starts up for a few moments every time I start my iMac? Nothing comes up on the desktop but 1Password 7 shows up in the far left of the menu bar (as though the app was running) and the little dot shows up below the 1Password 7 icon in the dock for a few then they both disappear.

Yes, this is normal, though I would expect the menu bar icon to remain, unless you've turned off:

1Password > Preferences > General > Show 1Password in the menu bar

Ben

• JakeLonergan
    JakeLonergan
    Community Member

Ben, perhaps I was unclear. Yes, the 1Password icon in the right of the menu bar for the mini-app is always there with the rest of the extensions. And maybe I do need to send the computer somewhere. What’s happening here is that, when you run a full application in MacOS the name of the app exhibits to the far left, next to the Apple Menu Apple icon, of the menu bar. Also while an application is running a small dot appears below the app icon in the Dock to show that app is running.

What’s happening here is that, during startup, the word “1Password” appears at the far left of the menu bar and the little dot appears under the icon I have placed in the dock, as though the full application were starting up. I’d like to know if that’s just a normal part of, maybe, the mini-app extension activating or if this malware might be causing 1Password to send info somewhere. I’ve not noticed this behavior in past versions of 1Password.

• What’s happening here is that, during startup, the word “1Password” appears at the far left of the menu bar and the little dot appears under the icon I have placed in the dock, as though the full application were starting up. I’d like to know if that’s just a normal part of, maybe, the mini-app extension activating

That's exactly the case. :)

Ben

• sydneynamie
    sydneynamie
    Community Member

I never downloaded 1password, i just logged in so i could comment on the subject. I don't know why IdeaShared is happening to us, I don't go onto risky sites, or download anything weird. Ive only downloaded power points for biology and chemistry classes. No malware system will download. I might have to take it into apple. Its not affecting the overall running of the computer, but I'd like my origin to connect to the internet because I want to download the new sims game pack on november 15th.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Hey @sydneynamie

This is the 1Password support forum. If you have any questions about 1Password please let us know and we'll be happy to help. My best guess is that IdeaShared is malware, which I would recommend consulting a local computer repair operation about. Unfortunately that isn't something that is in our wheelhouse.

Ben

• JakeLonergan
    JakeLonergan
    Community Member

Gotta say, sydneynamie, that IdeaShared didn’t try to download today so that’s almost three full days since it appeared on my iMac. Woo hoo! I wish I could remember the names of the other two apps with the same icon that tried to install. The third app was downloading when I started trashing stuff and I was too panic stricken to fully notice. I’m going to keep searching for it until I find it. Check your Downloads folder, too. There was a file about “retailers” and an unknown Contacts card in there so they went into the trash, too. Don’t give up on downloading an antivirus program; I had to ignore some of Sophos’ instructions and even a couple of the dialog boxes to get mine installed. Do what makes sense and not what the instructions say.

Check to make sure you’re in your primary network and make sure you have a password installed. The WPA2 one, if possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience :+1:

This discussion has been closed.