Purchased a license; no Secret Key

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Secret Key.

Comments

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

I keep being asked for a secret key. I bought a stand alone version never given a secret key. Now I can not access my account via MacBook Pro or iPhone 11. Has to be a way around this for us thay bought the app.

• Hi @jimpres

I'd be happy to help with that.

If you don't have a 1Password subscription membership then you wouldn't have a Secret Key. To utilize 1Password you'd need to select the appropriate option from the welcome screen, based on your usage. E.g. If you've been syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox, you'd have to select that option. You may need to scroll down, particularly on iOS, to see all of the available options.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

On my Macbook Pro using Safari. I go to 1password.com, the pop up immediately asks for email, secret key and master password. Has a dropdown for 1password in other regions.
    On my iPhone 11 I get the same display except I do have the option of selecting icloud, dropbox, wlan server to 1password,com I tried icloud, dropbox but get the message no vaults found, same with icloud. And 1password gives the same display as on my laptop.

• Brendon_H
    Brendon_H
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team, very disappointed this with this new "key" usage in Version 7 as this user interface is so very frustrating - You went from being a brilliant solution provider to being one tied up in access with passwords and login keys to access my account and god only knows what... what happened to your brilliance of simplicity?

• @jimpres

How were you syncing your 1Password data up until you ran into this situation?

Ben

• Hi @Brendon_H

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed. The Secret Key serves an important function for 1Password membership customers. You can read more about it here:

About your Secret Key

If you don't have a membership, then you don't have a Secret Key.

Ben

• Brendon_H
    Brendon_H
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben - I am using this on my Mac and when I want to update a password entry, it tells me that this is now read only and I then have a pop up screen with welcome to 1password7 as a pop up - I try to log in but then I need a key which I do not have so the circle of confusion starts and is infinte

• @Brendon_H

Licenses generally do not include major upgrades, such as 1Password v6 -> 1Password v7. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

I was not syncing Ben, I was just trying to open password on my new iPhone and the secret key requirement popped up. Should be an easy fix for those of us who bought 1Password. My 1Password app opens fine, no secret key requirement, it's on my MacBook.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpres:

Can you please let us know what steps you are following to open the 1Password app on your new iPhone?

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

ag_ana, I click on the 1 Password icon, next window Welcome to 1 password. option 1Password.com, iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN server. I tap 1Password.com immediatly asks for sign in address, email address, secret key, master password.
    Login on Macbook Pro at 1Password.com presents the same window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpres:

Thank you for the clarification. You shouldn't be tapping on 1Password.com if you have a license: the 1Password.com option is only for those users with a 1Password Membership, which is paid with a subscription.

Where is your data currently stored?

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

ag-ana, My data is stored local on my Macbook pro. I put the 1Password app on my iPhone and wanted to use it there. But when I try to open it I get the secret password window. So it looks like I can only use it on my computer not iPhone or iPad correct?

• Ben
    Options

So it looks like I can only use it on my computer not iPhone or iPad correct?

No, you can use it on your iPhone and iPad as well, but you don't have a 1Password.com account and as such won't be able to sign into one. Accounts are for memberships only. If you'd like to sync between your Mac and iOS devices using a license you'd need to select one of the other options. Alternatively, if you'd like to sync with 1Password.com (the easiest option) you'd need to sign up for a membership.

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

Still no joy with 1Password working on my iPhone. Won't allow entry without a secret key.
    So what would my cost be since I already own the app?

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

Still no joy with 1Password working on my iPhone. Won't allow entry without a secret key.
    So what would my cost be since I already own the app?

• Ben
    Options

@jimpres

You don't need a Secret Key if your intention is to use 1Password with a license. On the welcome screen (the one before you're prompted for a Secret Key), scroll down, and select one of the other sync options:

Sync your 1Password data

If you do decide instead you'd prefer to upgrade to a membership (recommended), such that you would have a Secret Key, and can sync via 1Password.com, please feel free to reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com. Please include receipts for any recent 1Password purchases so that they can best assess what deals you may be eligible for.

Thanks.

Ben

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

Here is what I have been trying to do. I have 1P on my Macbook Pro. I would like to have it on my iPhone so I can look up passwords without having my Mac with me. I no problem with other apps.

• Ben
    Options

@jimpres

Okay. You have three sync options that will accomplish that:

1. 1Password membership (recommended)
    2. Dropbox
    3. iCloud

If you'd like to use Dropbox or iCloud you'll need to scroll down on the 1Password for iOS welcome screen, instead of selecting the 1Password account sign-in option.

Ben

• jimpres
    jimpres
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, thanks a bunch for the support.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.