Master Password

Options

The ability to have the master password saved should be a user option, not the prerogative of 1Password. Having to provide it so frequently makes the utility of the application quite limited. Security only works if it is easy to use.

Lastpass provides the option to save the master password between boots and sessions. The application warns of the "hazard" of doing this but it is a user choice.

1Password needs this choice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's our responsibility to make sure that 1Password keeps our customers' data secure. There are plenty of other insecure ways to keep data and not need to enter a password to access it. What you're asking for is not security. You can, however, customize the options in 1Password Settings > Security to require the Master Password less frequently. Having it never be required though would mean saving it to disk, and then it could be stolen. We have no plans to do that.

• Basil_S
    Basil_S
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I'm a new user. Based on the above exchange are you saying that I haver to memorize or carry around my master password every time I use the app to generate passwords for my logins? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, you should memorize your Master Password.

There are some tips here that might help you pick a good one:

How to choose a good Master Password

Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewParker: The Primary ("On this Mac/PC") vault will be the first local (i.e. non-account) vault you setup in the app. But I think we're getting way off track. If you're using 1Password Families, you don't need any local vaults, Dropbox, etc., and we recommend using just the 1Password account since otherwise it can cause confusion like this.

This is really poor. It shouldn’t matter in which sequence accounts/vaults are added.

Then how are you supposed to unlock the app? 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it to help simplify things even when you've complicated them a bit. This way you don't have to enter N (number of vaults) Master Passwords to access your data.

The term Master Password should be better, and more clearly, defined.

I agree. Since only you can define that yourself with your actions though, it's totally surmountable. :)

It looks like we have a 1P Account subscription Master Password, each Dropbox vault has a Master Password, the iOS/iPadOS app has a Master Password.

You can, yes. Should you? Probably not. Did you.? It sounds like it.

PS just checked on this discussion site the string “Master password”; more than 1000 separate threads

Yep. It's probably the most common two words used in regard to 1Password. Most common single word is either "password" or "login", probably pretty close.

Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish exactly? Did you migrate your data to your 1Password account yet? It isn't clear from your comments where you have all of your data now, and what the goal is. With that information I'm sure we can help you get sorted. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewParker: No worries. Glad you were able to setup the iPad the same way as the other devices. You're uniquely qualified to know what that would be. :)

But to clarify, in case it helps:

Configuring the new iPad, I added the subscription 1P Account first: I could find no way of adding subsequent Dropbox (or iCloud) vaults. I presume this is one way of moving people to your preferred subscription model.

iCloud does not support sharing or multiple vaults, just the Primary. Multiple Dropbox vaults can be added from Settings > Vaults. All of that functionality predates 1Password memberships by many years. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewParker: For brevity, I didn't go into a ton of detail, so if you equate "incomplete" with "incorrect", then you can count yourself right. ;) I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to specifically, but it is definitely possible to setup multiple local vaults and accounts in the app. How many and what they're sync'd with, as far as local vaults, is a more complex topic though -- which is why I'm glad 1Password membership accounts simplify that greatly; it's difficult to explain succinctly otherwise. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndrewParker: Sorry! Didn't mean to rile you. If you tap "Enable Standalone Vaults" at the bottom of your second screenshot, you'll have a primary vault which can be sync'd with Dropbox, and you can also sync additional standalone (local -- i.e. non-account) vaults as well. But I'd recommend not doing that, to be clear. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is that the iPadOS equivalent of MacOS 1P7 7.3.2 > Preferences > Advanced > Local vaults: Allow creation of vaults outside of 1password accounts?

@AndrewParker: Yes! Also iOS. But you're right on. :)

I appreciate that I may be the only person in the customer base using 1P in this manner :)

I'd really encourage you to consider getting them on 1Password Families, even as guests. it will make your life and theirs so much easier. Talking from experience here, as a long-time Dropbox user myself. :lol:

PS if the Family subscription pricing was a little bit kinder for those of us who have fewer than 5 family members, I would be very tempted to go down the subscription route.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that it being less than two individual memberships makes it a great value, but certainly different people have different expectations. If you reconsider, please don't hesitate to email me at support@1password.com and I'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good point. We really don't want to encourage people to get themselves into messes by enabling local vaults when they're using a 1Password membership account, but I agree that consistency is good. :)

This discussion has been closed.