I don' t know where to post this: Any known issues with GitHub 2FA?

Options
andx1pw
andx1pw
Community Member

https://github.com/settings/two_factor_authentication/verify

I cannot get 2FA to work on GitHub. None of the methods to import their "secret" from the above page successfully creates a OTP in 1P desktop.

1Password Version: 73712
Extension Version: 1132
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: 1Pass

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andx1pw!

I was able to enable 2FA for GitHub and have 1Password generate 2FA codes for it. Are you trying to follow their instructions on how to enable 2FA using a TOTP app?

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Scanning QR code > log out > log in not working.

I tried again now, still not working. Strange, I have no problems with 2FA on any other site.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andx1pw:

Is 1Password generating codes for GitHub already though? I am not sure I understood if the issue is with getting 1Password to generate these codes, or if the codes are being generated, but are being rejected by GitHub when you try to login.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for helping me here.

The OTP are generated in 1P but are rejected by GitHub

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andx1pw:

Thank you for the confirmation. When you first scan your QR code and add the generator to the 1Password app, GitHub will require you to enter one code to make sure everything is fine (and to avoid locking you out). When you entered your 2FA code here for the first time, was it accepted?

Or did it fail already when you tried to enable 2FA on the website? In this case, GitHub won't enable 2FA for your account at all until you enter a correct code.

The reason I am asking is that, if your code was accepted at least once, it means that your 1Password configuration is correct, and this is probably a time issue. But if your authenticator code was never accepted, not even once, it could still be a time issue, but also a problem with your GitHub 2FA secret.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

GitHub 2FA working fine here as well.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana The code is not accepted

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andx1pw:

So there are two things you need to check. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected, so the first thing you should check is that the time is the same on all your devices. A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

If your GitHub code is still not accepted, but other codes work fine, it means that there is something wrong with the QR code that you are scanning from GitHub. Please make sure that you are trying to scan the one under GitHub Settings > Security > Enable two-factor authentication, in the section titled Scan this barcode with your app.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana You are a genius! My PC time was one hour off because of the daylight saving time change last night.

2FA on GitHub is now working.

Case closed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @andx1pw! I am happy that everything is working again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ag_ana You are a genius!

Indeed she is, @andx1pw.

My PC time was one hour off because of the daylight saving time change last night.

May I ask what operating system and version you are using?

Also keep in mind that if you dual-boot your machine, different operating systems have different views about how clocks should be set in hardware, and so can stomp all over each others settings.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Win10 all updates. No dual boot.
    I just had to sync the clock manually.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Daylight savings adjustments are made on different days in different areas, which makes these sorts of things all that much more interesting to troubleshoot. :)

Daylight saving time - Wikipedia

Ben

This discussion has been closed.