Can I integrate 1Password with my Kensington Verimark dongle?

I've bought a Kensington Verimark dongle for my Win 10 laptop. This works fine in logging into the computer, but I was rather hoping that it would integrate with 1Password to make it vastly more useful, as did my Synaptics fingerprint reader on a different machine. I can't find any information about this on the Kensington site, so am I going to be disappointed?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I use 1password with my Kensington Verimark dongle?

Comments

• It appears that dongle is actually a U2F key, @JDavidJ, so even thought it uses your fingerprint, it's not strictly a fingerprint reader – it's a bit more. Technically, Windows did support using a U2F key as a Hello device, but I must admit I'm not totally up to speed on the state of that today, including whether or not it does (or ever did) work in third-party apps. Last I tried testing it, there was still an extra app from Microsoft required to enable U2F for Hello and that app didn't support my particular security key so I wasn't able to give it a try myself. Since then, it seems that app may have been deprecated and I'm not finding any clear guidance on using U2F with Hello today. It appears that instead most security key manufacturers are providing their own solution for unlocking your PC with their keys, which means it's likely this won't work with 1Password since it's not going through Windows Hello.

I'm sorry I can't be more definitive here. Without the option to test it myself I just can't be certain what will and won't work and am left relying on what guidance I can find from Microsoft and others, which isn't much at present. In theory, anything you can use to unlock your computer specifically through Windows Hello should work to unlock 1Password as well, but when you add in extra apps to enable it or need to venture outside the Hello ecosystem entirely, then your mileage will vary at best. With that said, I'd encourage doing your own research, too – Kensington may be able to share guidance on using your key as a Hello device and, depending on how that's accomplished, it may be able to unlock 1Password. In this case, I'm just Googling like anyone else so my suspicions aren't gospel and I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

• JDavidJ
    JDavidJ
    Community Member

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I'll re-post if I get anywhere via your suggestions.
    D

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JDavidJ,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :+1:

Please let us know what you find, we are always ready to help. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.