How do I make 1password ask for master password every time before autofill a login

Options
Bazzle
Bazzle
Community Member

At the moment when I go to a website login, click the input box I get the 1password button to 'Sign in' this fills out the fields with my saved username and password, I'm not prompted for my master password.

Seems pretty obvious to me this should happen as I use 1password at work and I don't want anyone who can get on my computer to be able to login to my sites.

How do I configure so I'm prompted for the password every single time I use it? can't find anything in the settings.

Using chrome

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bazzle: 1Password will only ask for the Master Password when it's locked, since otherwise the data is accessible and it would be security theater to ask for it when it is not needed. So you can have 1Password lock more aggressively by changing its security settings (under Preferences > Security in 1Password for Mac), and, important regardless, don't give others access to your computer -- especially if you are keeping sensitive information there, in 1Password or otherwise, and/or leaving 1Password unlocked. Someone compromising your machine, intentionally or inadvertently, with malware would be game over. Stay safe out there! :)

• Bazzle
    Bazzle
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi @brenty. I really need it to stay permanently locked, only filling in the password when I input the master. This is a security requisite for using a password manager at work. At the moment, I've set it to lock after one minute, but it doesn't seem to ever lock by itself. Is there no way to make that work? or any plans to provide that option in future releases? Seems obvious that you should have to put in the master password every time, otherwise anyone can get into my sites just by clicking a button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I really need it to stay permanently locked, only filling in the password when I input the master.

@Bazzle: You can do that. 1Password for Mac has the global shortcut ⌘ ⌃ ⌥ L to lock it.

At the moment, I've set it to lock after one minute, but it doesn't seem to ever lock by itself.

Like it says on the tin, "Lock when computer is idle for X minutes" means it will lock after you have not interacted with it for the number of minutes you set. 1Password isn't going to auto-lock while you're using your computer, or it will lock while you're using 1Password, which could result in data loss.

Seems obvious that you should have to put in the master password every time, otherwise anyone can get into my sites just by clicking a button.

For obviously reasons we do not recommend leaving 1Password unlocked and your computer unattended. It's not reasonable to expect any kind of protection in that scenario, as you've "left the door open".

This discussion has been closed.