After updating to Catalina, I can't add new passwords to 1password

rabell1pw
rabell1pw
Community Member

I had purchased my copies for my mac and for my iPhone a long time ago and continue to use 1pw constantly, but now I can only add new accounts or update accounts on my iPhone.

What's happened and how do I fix it?

It says I'm running 1pw version 7, but that this one requires a special permission or license, but I didn't download or install a special version that requires something special.

I can't even get to the preferences screen to show version info for extensions because it won't let me look at the preferences until l enter something called a Secret key that I must have associated with some account that I don't seem to have a record of.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After updating to Catalina, I can't add new passwords to 1password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rabell1pw! Welcome to the forum!

It says I'm running 1pw version 7, but that this one requires a special permission or license, but I didn't download or install a special version that requires something special.

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so you will need to purchase it before you are able to use it fully. Have you already purchased a license upgrade or a subscription in order to activate it?

• rabell1pw
    rabell1pw
    Community Member

I don’t remember downloading a new version. It did this without my asking. I don’t remember the version I had but let’s suppose it was 6, can I redownload it or does it no longer run under Catalina and that’s why read only version 7 was forced on me so I would still have my existing passwords but just couldn’t change them?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rabell1pw - you can always download any of our past versions at our version history server. However, as a security company, we can't recommend using outdated versions of any part of your critical security setup, and that includes 1Password as well as macOS itself and your browser(s).

In the case of macOS 10.15 ("Catalina"), it's not so much the operating system as it is the fact that Apple changed the format of extensions for Safari 13, which ships natively with Catalina, from the older-style .safariextz extensions that were in use in Safari 11 and earlier - and are what was built into 1Password 6 for Mac - to the newer Safari App Extensions, which version 7 of 1Password for Mac has support for but version 6 doesn't. You can read more about this change in this support article, but the bottom line is that if you use Safari as your main browser, 1Password 6 for Mac simply will not work within Safari 13. You can still use version 6 with other browsers such as Chrome, Vivaldi, Firefox, and Brave. But as version 6 entered legacy status in May of 2018, eventually compatibility with newer versions of those browsers will decline as well.

To be clear, there is no way for a user of 1Password 6 for Mac to "automatically" be upgraded to version 7, unless they already have a 1password.com membership/subscription -- because all of our apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are included in every 1password.com membership at no extra charge. All other 1Password for Mac users would have had to intentionally click a button either in the Mac App Store, on our site, or within the one-time pop-up that we did send out within the app, which clearly states "Paid Upgrade."

If you're in Read Only mode (you'd notice that by a badge that says "Read Only" on any of your items in the main 1Password window (not the Mini), like this):

...then that means you likely installed 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store. You've got a few options:

1. If you want a standalone-licensed version of 1Password 7 for Mac, you'd need to fully quit and uninstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password, if you have that installed, and download from our downloads page instead.
    2. If you want a 1password.com membership, you can do that as well by just clicking the Subscribe Now button that you'll see in the Purchase Options window that will pop up when you click the Read Only badge on any of your items
    3. You can uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac and re-install 1Password 6 for Mac -- we do not recommend this option, for compatibility reasons given above.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• rabell1pw
    rabell1pw
    Community Member

Thanks Lars!
    That’s the detail I never could find anywhere.

Ok so I must have done the install myself to get 7. I remember that I couldn’t get 1pw to work without installing something new but I usually don’t understand the terse messages on versioning info from agilebits.

Ok, so basically I’ve been using 1pw since 2012 and this is the 3rd time I’ve been forced to upgrade ... and now to a subscription. I guess I see what I have to do now.

Thanks for the help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rabell1pw, on behalf of ** Lars**, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.