How do I recover lost vaults after purchasing Family license

Options

I have been using 1Password for a while now under a company license, on my MacBook and my iPhone. Using this license I was able to sync my "Primary" vault with my personal devices over iCloud. I created a separate vault ("Work") for my company passwords which were not synced across devices / the cloud (as per company policy).

As a fan of the software, I was keen to use 1Password to share sensitive information with family members etc. I purchased a Family license (I am still in the trial period), and upon doing so I instantly saw my account was added to the apps on my laptop and my phone. I now had 4 vaults: 2 vaults ("Primary" and "Work") under my original company license, and a new family account which contained a further 2 vaults ("Private", "Shared").

I transferred all my personal secrets from my "Primary" vault in my company license to either "Private" or "Shared" vault as appropriate. However I did not want company secrets associated with my family account as this contravenes company policy, so I left those in the "Work" vault. Things seemed to be working fine.

The next day (today) I was unable to log in to 1Password on my Mac. I have tried the master password that I set up when I installed the app using the company license, and the master password for my new family account. Neither work. I have touch ID but it won't let me use that without first entering my master password. On my phone, I was able to use TouchID to get into the app, but all my passwords were gone. Only when I signed in using my family account could I get anything back.

I have a lot of sensitive passwords etc. stored in my "Work" vault and I am now worried about losing those - I do not want a Family license if I have to sacrifice the ability to store these locally on my device, and not in the cloud. I am sure I can get 1Password on my laptop working again by reinstalling and signing in using my family account, but then my company passwords won't be there.

How can I recover my Work passwords?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: None

Comments

• clormor
    clormor
    Community Member
    Options

Oh man, please disregard this post. After retrieving the master password for my Mac from my emergency backup location and typing in one final time, it magically works. Can't believe this is my first post... how embarassing :)

Definitely a good example, if one was needed, of why having a separate secure copy of your master password is so important.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries at all @clormor, thank you for the update! I am glad that you managed to get things sorted already :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.