Wireless Router Passwords don't appear in Suggested / Autofill List

Options
BLD
BLD
Community Member

While to connect to a WiFi hotspot, iOS presents me with the password prompt. I click on Passwords lower down as usual, select 1P and up it comes with a long list of Password and Server items for me to choose from -- but my Wireless Router items are nowhere on that list. I have to cancel out -- manually switch over to the 1P app, find the item and copy the password I need. Is it because the password in that item is labeled 'base station password' rather than 'password' perhaps?

In general, I think I would greatly benefit from a detailed spec of how 1P picks autofill suggestions. As well as what extra utility beyond documentation and formatting each of the different types of items provides. If I'm a dummy and this is a RT(f)M answer, mea culpa -- please point me to the right place.

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 12.1.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BLD: Sorry for the confusion. iOS 12 Password Autofill isn't intended to work with anything but website login credentials. You'd need to save them in a Login item if you want to fill them there, and there would be no way to match it; you'd have to search for them anyway. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

@brenty I see 1Password stuff come up wherever iOS prompts for passwords -- it's just that 1Password isn't including Wireless Router item passwords in its list of autofill suggestions. It's definitely including more than just Login Items, for example, Servers amd Passwords items are on that list. And I don't mind having to search for them -- but the Wireless Router passwords weren't there at all. What's the point of having WiFi passwords in those items if they can't be used by the 1P integration with iOS password autofill?

(Aside -- this reminds me that in all of the clients I'd love to have a way to select the right item in mini 1P when Suggestions fail to match for whatever reason -- and just select "Fill" -- rather than "Open & Fill". As it is now, I have to "copy" and then paste manually. No big deal -- but cumulatively very annoying over time. Hope that made sense. It looks the Windows client has that ability, but not the Mac or iOS.)

• Hi @BLD,

1Password will currently only vend Login items and Password items to the AutoFill system. Mainly this is due to the way AutoFill surfaces results: by URL. As iOS expands the capabilities of AutoFill we will certainly re-evaluate which items we surface to the system.

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew As I said above, Servers items are also surfaced. There may be others, but I haven't fully experimented. I don't understand why any field in any item that you have labeled 'password' wouldn't be considered for a password prompt.

How is iOS Keychain deciding which password to fetch in this same scenario? I suspect it's keyed in some way according to the wifi hotspot name being queried. Not having played with the iOS APIs myself, maybe this information isn't made available to third party autofill products.

I certainly understand the tool's desire to present an initial best effort at the list of most applicable items, but please don't make it impossible for me to get to the other items in my vaults from the iOS passwords interface. Having to pop out to the 1P app directly, find the item, copy the right field value and pop back is painful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BLD: I'm sorry if we're not explaining this well. But as mentioned earlier, iOS 12 Password Autofill works with sets of username/password/URL. So we give items that fit that criteria to the OS for this purpose, since it can match and fill those. Server items, like Logins, have username/password/URL by default. As far as iOS is concerned, items not matching that criteria aren't very useful, since there's literally no way to match them to the current app/website, which is the reason for the feature's existence; and the recommendation is for all apps, like websites, to have an associated domain for this purpose, not only for convenience, but for security. Filling stuff where it doesn't belong is usually bad news, though I understand why you'd want to do this in this particular case. Like Andrew said, if Apple expands this feature, we'll look at making adjustments on our end as well.

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

@brenty What is the use case for a Wireless Router item then, particularly a 'wireless network password' field, if not to provide credentials for accessing the WiFi hotspot provided by that router? Apple Keychain stores these as "application" or "AirPort network" passwords, and is identifying them by the name of the network. Yes, Apple Keychain similarly does not include these in a list of credentials for a user to pick from in other contexts, but that's because it knows exactly the context in which they can be used.

If the iOS prompt for a WiFi password gives any context that 1P can see, such as the Network name, 1P could certainly use that with its own "network name" field in the WR item to give an accurate Suggestion. But I suspect iOS doesn't give that context to a third party password auto-filler, so 1P really should be presenting every single item that has a password field in it anywhere.

The way it is now I am forced to store the wireless network password off in a separate Password item from the Wireless Router item (and I suppose link the two). I really want to store all my information about the router in one place.

And I have a similar problem with the router access passwords as well, the ones used for configuration of the router. Clearly, it's desirable to store those with the rest of the router information, but doing so won't let 1P offer those passwords when trying to sign into the router management interface, e.g., AirPort Utility, a web interface, etc. And if I store the base station password and wireless network passwords in separate Password items, 1P complains about duplicates.

• Ben
    Options

What is the use case for a Wireless Router item then, particularly a 'wireless network password' field, if not to provide credentials for accessing the WiFi hotspot provided by that router? Apple Keychain stores these as "application" or "AirPort network" passwords, and is identifying them by the name of the network. Yes, Apple Keychain similarly does not include these in a list of credentials for a user to pick from in other contexts, but that's because it knows exactly the context in which they can be used.

The Wireless Router category has been around longer than iPhones have. ;) The use case is to be able to securely store and view the details about your network in 1Password. These items, like most categories in 1Password, do not fill anywhere.

If the iOS prompt for a WiFi password gives any context that 1P can see, such as the Network name, 1P could certainly use that with its own "network name" field in the WR item to give an accurate Suggestion. But I suspect iOS doesn't give that context to a third party password auto-filler, so 1P really should be presenting every single item that has a password field in it anywhere.

That's the problem: it doesn't. And even if it did, Password AutoFill doesn't give us the ability to vend it network names: only usernames, passwords, and URLs.

The way it is now I am forced to store the wireless network password off in a separate Password item from the Wireless Router item (and I suppose link the two). I really want to store all my information about the router in one place.

Agreed. Hopefully the Password AutoFill feature will be expanded in the future to make it such that we're able to fill more items in more places.

And I have a similar problem with the router access passwords as well, the ones used for configuration of the router. Clearly, it's desirable to store those with the rest of the router information, but doing so won't let 1P offer those passwords when trying to sign into the router management interface, e.g., AirPort Utility, a web interface, etc. And if I store the base station password and wireless network passwords in separate Password items, 1P complains about duplicates.

Indeed. This has essentially always been a problem. It isn't high on the priority list but we would eventually like to come up with a way to address it.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't think it's a bad strategy at all to save data in 1Password based on how you want to use it. If you want to be able to fill router/Wi-Fi credentials stored in 1Password, save them as a Login item. You can always add custom fields for any other information as desired. Cheers! :)

• Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    Options

I’m going to resurrect an old thread here, as I do find this choice a bit puzzling. I like having the Wireless Routers category for clean organization. It has a password field. Why not allow it to be searchable and support auto fill? What is the down side to it? If the alternative is to create a login that also does not have a URL, how is that any better? It is only worse, as now you’ve dumped it into logins, as opposed to wireless routers category where it belongs?

• Ben
    Options

What is the down side to it?

There is no down side. I don't think anybody is arguing against having this. It's just a matter of priorities and resources. Hopefully some day we'll have this. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.