International characters in Master Password a problem in iOS 13

TomRRR
TomRRR
Community Member

I have international characters in my 1Password Master Password. Since updating my iPhone to iOS 13, the master password keeps getting rejected in the main 1Password app login screen. Thankfully it is still accepted into the share sheets for Safari and other apps. This means that I can use 1Password to enter the passwords where they are needed on my iPhone, but only using the master password and not FaceID. I also cannot look up any details in the 1Password app on iOS.

1Password 7.3.2 on macOS 10.14.6 is functioning fine, but I am scared to update to Catalina, at least until the iOS issue is sorted out!

This was a problem with a previous 1Password version, and had to do with the fact that there is more than one way to represent certain international characters, and was fixed fairly quickly. I presume that this is a similar issue, but it is weird that it only affects the login screen and not the share-sheet.

Could you PLEASE put international characters into your test suite for making sure that your app continues to function after an update?!?!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.2
OS Version: iOS 13.1.3
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:International characters in Master Password a problem in iOS 13

Comments

• Hi @TomRRR

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Would you mind testing something that may help us track this down? If so, please try typing the characters in question into the Notes app. Do they appear as expected? If so, copy them from the Notes app, and paste them into 1Password when filling in your Master Password. Does that work?

Please let me know.

Ben

• TomRRR
    TomRRR
    Community Member

Ben,

This did work correctly and I was able to copy and paste the password, thus giving me access on iOS.

I noticed a strange behaviour:
    If the 1Password vault was locked, normal characters using the Apple keyboard were able to be entered without a problem, but when I tried to enter an accented character (hold the character to bring up the choices, then slide to the chosen accented character) no character was entered into the password field (there is no unobscured character that flashes up, and the number of dots already present does not change in the password field). It does not matter how carefully I selected this character, how many times I try to repeat the entry of that character, and despite the keyboard giving the normal feedback as far as character selection is concerned.

This seems to occur if I start off with the English keyboard, and switch to the language-specific keyboard in the middle of entering the master password. I think (???) that if the correct keyboard is already selected when I start entering the master password (or when you discard everything and start again, or maybe when the vault is already unlocked enough to allow FaceID to be an option) then this does not occur, and the accented characters appear normally in the password field.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• Thanks @TomRRR. Do you notice this behavior when working with password fields in other apps?

Ben

• TomRRR
    TomRRR
    Community Member

No, because I use the fill password from 1Password functionality... don't remember when is the last time that I had to manually enter a password thanks to 1Password... 8-) Which is why the problem seemed to be exclusively occurring with your app, as the master password is the only one that is memorable and that needed to be entered by hand!

In other words, you succeeded in making it possible for me to effortlessly use completely random gibberish passwords absolutely everywhere!!!!

I just tested this in another app (Scanner Pro) and I get the same problem, insofar as starting with English and switching to the language-specific keyboard results in the accented characters simply not appearing in the password field, despite being very carefully selected.

It therefore seems to be an Apple problem, and I guess needs to have a Radar bug report filed with Apple... I'm sure you have good communication channels open with Apple, so it might be addressed sooner if it comes from you rather than a mere user! ;)

(iPhone X model NQA82ZP/A running iOS 13.1.3)

• TomRRR
    TomRRR
    Community Member

What is worse, though, is that it only seems to be one accented character!!!!!!! Different accents on the same base letter show up fine, and accented characters on different base letters also show up fine... GO FIGURE.

As I don't want to give away which letter it is in a public forum, feel free to contact me out of band, or get Apple to do so to point them to the problem.

• On the one hand it is a bit of a relief to know that this isn't a bug in 1Password. On the other hand it is a bit disappointing as that means we won't be able to fix it directly. Please feel free to email us the character in question at support+forum@1password.com along with a reference to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108412/international-characters-in-master-password-a-problem-in-ios-13#latest

When you email in you'll get a support ID back from BitBot. To help us 'connect the dots' please post that support ID here.

Thanks!

Ben

• TomRRR
    TomRRR
    Community Member

Ben,

The support ID:

[#UEX-46931-344]

A reliable work-around seems to be to switch to the language-specific keyboard, navigate to the home screen and then back to the app - the language-specific keyboard should be already selected, and there should not be any problems entering any of the characters.

I know this might only impact a very narrow set of users, but I hope that this helps.

Tom

• Thanks Tom. :+1:

Ben

ref: UEX-46931-344

This discussion has been closed.