Why cannot my wife log into her app on her mac?

Options
ahavens3827
ahavens3827
Community Member

I just upgraded to families. I added my wife and she got set up. She can log into her iPhone and iPad app but she cannot log into her Mac app. Shouldn't her new Master Password work on the Mac app?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.4.1
OS Version: IOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ahavens3827! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please clarify what happens exactly when she tries to login to her 1Password account on the Mac app? Is she seeing an error message?

• ahavens3827
    ahavens3827
    Community Member
    Options

No, it just response with the red symbol and red padlock. No error, no message.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ahavens3827:

Thank you for the clarification. Was she perhaps using this 1Password app in the past, before using the Families account?

In this case, I think she might have an old Primary vault inside the app, and this is why she is not able to unlock the app with her new credentials if there is existing data inside it.

• ahavens3827
    ahavens3827
    Community Member
    Options

She had attempted to use 1Password in the past but had forgotten her master password so we just decided to delete her account and do the family account. It is very possible her old account is somehow linked to the Mac app. Is there a way to clear that?

• ahavens3827
    ahavens3827
    Community Member
    Options

I actually just talked to her and she said she had not logged in on her Mac, she had created it on her iPad. She can log in there. I just want to get her set up so all three link like mine do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ahavens3827:

If she used the 1Password app on the Mac in the past, then that's why she cannot login there anymore. In order to reset the app since she forgot the Master Password to unlock it, she will need to start over and then add her new account on the Mac as well, like she did on the iPad.

• ahavens3827
    ahavens3827
    Community Member
    Options

That’s what we did. She deleted the app off the Mac then reinstalled it. She used the new master password from the family account, the one that she can log in to the other devices with, but it will not work. Is there something else she needs to do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ahavens3827:

That’s what we did. She deleted the app off the Mac then reinstalled it.

This is not enough. You need to make sure you completely start over with an empty 1Password app by following the instructions I shared with you in my previous post.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app won't be enough. If you simply to did this, the data that you currently have in the app will remain on your system, therefore not allowing your wife to add her new account until the app has been completely reset.

This discussion has been closed.