What can I do for a forgotten master password

EAlexine
EAlexine
Community Member

I recently changed my master password and now I have forgotten it. However I still have access to all my passwords because I have my android app set to unlock with my fingerprint. Is there some way for me to transfer all my passwords or something so I dont lose them all. I'm going to be getting a new phone next week so I will be screwed when trying to set the app back up. Thanks so much for your time.

Comments

• Hi @EAlexine. Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password! For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information.

We have published a troubleshooting guide in our Knowledgebase that will help you try to recover the password, or figure out what to do next:
    https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you're not able to recover the Master Password, the easiest option would be signing up for a new membership, and then moving your data into that new account.

That said, 1Password automatically saves your 1Password Login credentials in your vault, so if you have access via Fingerprint Unlock, you may be able to recover the Master Password. Just launch 1Password on Android, tap Tags at the bottom of the screen, and search for a tag called Starter Kit. Do you see that? If so, open the 1Password Login item you see and reveal the password in it. That should be your account's Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.