To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can 1P employees access passwords on a server with a membership account?

Options
jcminnesota
jcminnesota
Community Member

A delicate question....but please understand that I generally trust all 1P employees! But do any 1P employees have the ability to access a members passwords on the server? In this age of hackers and data breaches it is not unthinkable unless there is strong encryption that would not allow any access to server retained password files, even to 1P engineers that designed the system. I remain suspicous of a membership and storing my entire digital and financial life in a server farm somewhere.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can 1P employees access passwords on a server with a membership account?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@jcminnesota

Your 1Password data is encrypted using your Master Password (and in the case of membership – also your Secret Key) before it is transmitted over an encrypted connection to 1Password.com. Your Master Password and Secret Key are never shared with us or known by our servers. As such, even 1Password Team Members with the highest levels of access to the service cannot view the data customers enter into 1Password.

You can read more about our security model here:

About the 1Password security model

And if you're interested in more of the "how" and "why" we do things, we have a fairly in-depth white paper available here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

I remain suspicous of a membership and storing my entire digital and financial life in a server farm somewhere.

I think we're well past the point of no return in that regard however 1Password membership takes the appropriate precautions to protect your data in that we never have access to it. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.