What is the state of file attachments in teams? The Web and Windows versions don't seem to have it?

Hi - more and more I struggle with what appears to be the the sad state of 1Password... I've just wasted an hour trying to understand why another member on our team can't seem to attach an SSH key to a server item in our team vault?

After a while, it emerged they were using the web version, and there is no attach in that UI... oh ok, so he downloads the windows client, and guess what - not there either? How can this be? Is it really only in the Mac version - and 4 years later its still an issue (I can see similar questions from 2015/16...?)

I honestly don't understand why 1P seems to move at such a glacial pace... its such a confusing product (the UI is so hard to explain to any new user, with so many unintuitive ways of working), but this really takes the cake.

So what is the sad state of file attachments - do you have to have a mac to add a key to server item?

Tim

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX & Windows & Web
Sync Type: team

Comments

• Hi @365nice

You can add a Document to 1Password for Windows using these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/files/#windows
    And then link it to/from another item using these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/link-items/#windows

It is possible to create Documents using the web interface, but it is not currently possible to link them.

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Are you guys genuinely pleased with this state of affairs? Why is it so different between products?

As a long term user I keep seeing the same problems and confusion year on year - with cute thanksgiving and Xmas messages, but no “sort this stuff out” evidence. I am actually confused what such a seemingly big tech team does ... I’m sure it’s good stuff, but nothing I’m feeling as a customer of personal, family and team products.

In essence, it does the basics and I’ve never lost anything (many thanks), but it’s not joyful to use, and I now think twice about bringing it into a new team or recommending it for the very reason I’ve just faced - simple stuff isn’t simple or intuitive. Which is sad.

• I don't think we're unhappy with the state of Documents and linking, though I don't disagree it is an area in which we could do better. I think part of the difficulty may be that there is still some debate on how these sorts of things "should" work. We're happy to entertain any specific suggestions or requests you have. :)

Ben

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
  • 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

@wavesound thanks for the heads up on that ... in a mixed OS org that is another gotcha...

@Ben my suggestion would be to stop debating these things for years and sort them out to at least make them consistent, then you can iterate. Seems like a simple request to attach files to an item in any OS , and be able to recover them in any OS too... that’s what most people would expect.

Sorry to be harsh, but it’s so frustrating. Equally, i’d review the UI with new users and watch how they struggle ... hopefully your new investment may help (but I’m very nervous about that). As an aside, we’re evaluating Bitwarden now... this type of stuff is sadly driving us away.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

@Ben ,

The important thing to realize is that there are no "attachments" in 1Password.com like there are in the standalone app and it is very frustrating. This two-way transitive linking model is very abstract and software friendly, but absolutely infuriating to the average person that just wants "attach" something like you would with a stapler to a real piece of paper. Now, when I upload a file, I have to keep track of what other item its "stapled" to...

Unless you're a techie, it's very unintuitive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@365nice: Documents can be added and accessed on any OS, but this feature -- and 1Password in general -- is not designed as a general purpose backup tool.

I don't think that "stop debating these things for years and sort them out" is really actionable, especially given that your comments disagree with many other users' feedback, so I don't think you represent "most people". That's nothing against you, but rather just illustrates that there isn't one clear answer so far. Hence why we're not in a hurry to roll something out that would need to be as quickly rolled back again. I'm sorry if that means you choose something else instead, but I'd rather we take the time to do the best we can for the greatest number of people who do use 1Password. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wavesound: I'm fairly certain that Ben knows that 1Password memberships use Documents. How "intuitive" it is varies from person to person. It definitely isn't necessary to keep track of item links to use Documents; most of mine are simply import files I've saved; no links whatsoever (contracts and such). Personally, I like not having to create some other dummy item just to add a file to my vault anymore. But I do agree that what we have now is not ideal and has plenty of room for improvement to make Documents easier to work with. Thanks for your feedback on this.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

@brenty obviously you guys have access to more data than me, but every time I have an “issue”, I discover posts from 3-4 years ago, discussing the same problem, and little appears to happen as you guys seem to tweak other things. Whether it makes sense to me to attach a key to a login, I guess it’s debatable, but the fact that 1 product does it differently than others is awful (and sadly we lost unnecessary time on our team with this).

I’m actually bemused that this attachments experience even happened. As an alternate example, I’m also surprised that favourites aren’t solved for groups either. Years later - my favourites aren’t mine, if you upgrade, and add a new team, other members new favourites suddenly trump your top favourites? That’s not very helpful. Sadly not solved either. Equally, recently seeing new team members struggle with the 1P UI, it’s inconsistencies and quirks about how things work, I’m worn down.

But honestly - it’s your prerogative, and if this is how you guys roll (which seems the case in the last few years), then I sympathise with DHH (although perhaps a savvy investor might spot this disconnect?) and will sadly explore alternatives.

I’m not totally gone, but perhaps I express a wave of discontent amongst a previous fan base that maybe it’s true you don’t want anymore. I guess It depends if you guys care anyway. Food for thought for all of us... but the recent twitter posts did made me think.

• Everyone has different ideas about what should be at the top of the priority list. :) While our team has grown significantly there are still only so many things we can tackle at a time. I think we've made some really good progress in the last couple of years, but I understand it can be hard to see that if the things you personally want don't seem to be the items getting attention.

We want people to use 1Password because they feel it is the best solution available. If you're not feeling that then certainly I'd encourage you to do as you say and see what else is out there. I'd hope that we come out on top, but completely understand that we're never going to be able to satisfy everyone in every regard. Whichever direction you choose to go I wish you the best of luck, and hope you're able to find a solution you're confident in and comfortable with, even if ultimately that isn't 1Password.

If there is anything further we can help with please feel free to reach out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.