why does using 1Password on Safari Technology Preview on Catalina open separate Safari window?

Safari Technology Preview is my default browser, using 1Password 7 with STP opens a Safari window.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OSX 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:safari technology preview

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @byaruhaf! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please share a complete list of steps to trigger this behavior so we can test it here too?

• byaruhaf
    byaruhaf
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Step1: Open Safari Technology Preview
    Step2: Try to use 1PassowrdX

you will notice the Safari app opens automatically, not sure why.
    I mead a video to show you.

https://youtu.be/XDXcWiwbaJg

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the video @byaruhaf!

I was able to get Safari Technology Preview to work as expected with the 1Password extension here. I could only reproduce your issue if I had Safari (or any other browser) configured as the default browser in my macOS Preferences.

I know you mentioned that you already have Safari Technology Preview configured as your default browser, but can I ask you to check your macOS Preferences again to make sure that is still the case? Under macOS Preferences > General, you should see this:

Once you do this, things should be working :)

• mattpoppy
    mattpoppy
    Community Member

I have had the same issue as well and I did confirm I have Safari Technology Preview set as the default browser. I did also try to set default to another browser and re-set back to STP and same issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mattpoppy:

Can you please confirm what macOS version, 1Password version, Safari version and Safari Technology Preview versions you are running at the moment?

• mattpoppy
    mattpoppy
    Community Member

OS 10.15.1 beta, 1P 7.4 Beta-0, Safari 13.0.3, Safari Technology Preview Release 95 (13.1)

• Hey @mattpoppy, thanks for the details. I was able to reproduce this on my end. I've asked one of our Mac devs about this — I'll let you know what I find out, when/if I find out anything.

• Mike805
    Mike805
    Community Member

I've had the same issue. If I set the default to Safari and then try to use 1P in Safari Tech Preview instead of bringing up the 1P window (after clicking on the icon) on Safari Tech Preview it brings it up in Safari.

If I set the default to Safari Tech Preview the reverse also happens. Instead of bringing the window up in Safari it brings up the window in Safari Tech Preview.

MacOS 10.14.6, 1P vs 7.4 (70400014), Safari Version 13.0.1 (14608.2.11.1.11), Safari Tech Preview Release 93 (Safari 13.1, WebKit 14609.1.5)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information!

• macula
    macula
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Confirming the issue, which is longstanding in my case, indeed since the early days of Mojave up until the latest Mojave patch (10.14.6).

My reproduction is slightly different in that the 1P extension always triggers the plain Safari, not the Developer Preview, irrespective of the default browser setting.

• Thank you for sharing that data point with us, @macula. :smile:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Would like to add up to the thread at I can't get 1password to work with STP either. It would launch the stable Safari instead. I, too, would like to use 1password with both of them. Could Agilebits team help us on this issue?

1password 7.3.2
    macOS Catalina 10.15.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Certainly @wattachai, our developers have been made aware of the issue ;)

• mingtian
    mingtian
    Community Member

Hello Agilebits team, I am still having this problem. Is there any solution now?

• MacOS version 10.15.4,
    • 1Password version 7.4.4 (70404001),
    • Safari version 13.1 (15509.1.20.111.8),
    • Safari Technology Preview Release 104 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 15610.1.8.3).
  • howardellacott
    howardellacott
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I am also still having this problem!

MacOS version 10.15.6 Beta (19G46c)
    1Password version 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-3 (70600003)
    Safari Version 13.1.2 (15609.3.2)
    Safari Technology Preview Release 109 (Safari 14.0, WebKit 15610.1.17.2)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mingtian, @howardellacott:

Not yet, sorry :(

• Nebes
    Nebes
    Community Member

Same problem:
    MacOS 10.15.5 (19F101)
    STP Release 109 (Safari 14.0, WebKit 15610.1.17.2)

Setting STP as the default browser actually breaks autofill 1P in Safari and STP, even with the extensions enabled in Safari and in STP, or alternatively, disabled in Safari and enabled in STP. I emailed a report.

• Hi @Nebes

I'm not seeing any recent emails in our inbox from the address you have in your forum profile. Did you get a support ID back from BitBot when you emailed in? Please let me know.

Ben

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member

Is this still a problem for macOS 10.15.6 with Safari Technology Preview 14? Or user error?

I have STP set as the default browser.

The menubar icon always gives me the "Open Extension Preferences in Safari" button -- with the purple STP icon. The extension is correctly activated.

The STP toolbar icon just blinks when I click, with nothing happening.

Obviously supporting prerelease software isn't (and shouldn't be) a priority but if it can work easily that would be useful.

Thanks,

Andrew

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@a.jaffe:

Please see this post from my colleague Ben for the latest update on this :+1:

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member

Thanks and sorry I missed that other post.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries @a.jaffe! We are always happy to help :)

• oziade
    oziade
    Community Member

Hello !
    Same problem here, Safari is always opened.
    For information, it works well with Firefox : I have FF and FF Developer Edition, and when I use the browser extension in the Developer Edition, it does not open FF (even if it's my default browser).
    So it seems related to Safari and STP.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Please note that this might be a little off topic since it’s Big Sur 11.1. Yet, let me chime in.

Unlocking 1Password on STP still opens Safari. However once, 1Password has been unlocked, it would work flawlessly on STP.

We have some progress here. Really looking forward to a complete support.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

@oziade – Thanks for sharing your experience in Firefox! Safari and Firefox are completely different beasts, so it's really difficult to compare the two at all. I am wondering what macOS you're running, though, as Ben mentioned that 1Password isn't going to work with STP on macOS Catalina in the comment that Ana linked to here.

@wattachai – That's peculiar, but it does seem to be a step in the right direction when compared to 1Password not working at all in STP. That said, I haven't run into any issues myself, so I'm curious about it. Here are the steps I took when trying to reproduce the issue with STP opening Safari:

• Start out with 1Password locked
    • Set STP as default browser
    • Open STP
    • Enable the 1Password extension (if it isn't already)
    • Click the 1Password icon in the STP browser toolbar
    • I was asked for Touch ID, and 1Password unlocked immediately

Now I'm wondering if you had Safari open at all – it was open for me (it's where I'm writing this response to you, so I can't close it quite yet), but not in the foreground. I'll give it another shot with Safari closed, but let me know if you're able to reproduce the issue after following the same steps as me.

Edit: I got the same results when Safari was closed – I was able to unlock 1Password on STP, and Safari never opened unexpectedly for me. 🤔 I'll admit that I'm using the beta version of 1Password, but now I'm even curious how your test goes.

• oziade
    oziade
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Thanks for your message ! Yes FF and Safari are quite different, I did not try in Chromium browsers by the way :).

I'm on Big Sur 11.1.
    I had the same steps as yours, except that I used keyboard shortcut to autofill, not the 1password icon (with Safari closed or not, I can reproduce the problem).
    I just tried and it works when I use the icon.
    So it seems related to the shortcut use:

• Open STP
    • Use the shortcut to autofill fields or display 1password
    • Touch ID window is displayed in Safari and not in STP (even if Safari was not opened before)

As @wattachai mentioned, once 1password has been unlocked, everything works fine in STP (icon and shortcut use).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@kaitlyn i forgot to mention that STP is not my default browser. This might be the deciding factor of the behavior discrepancy.
    @oziade do we have the same default browser setting?

• oziade
    oziade
    Community Member

@wattachai Yes we have the same settings : Safari is my default and STP is for work.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Ah, sorry for the confusion @wattachai and @oziade. Safari Tech Preview must be set to the default browser in order for filling in STP to work properly from the start. That's a limitation that's outside of our control, unfortunately. I hope that helps get to the bottom of it!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Thanks for the clarification. Hope there is a way to provide a seamless support for both Safari and STP in future.
    @oziade We have the same use case! Looks like we are a big fan of Safari. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.