Not working for .htpasswd (browser user/pass pop-ups)

Odd that I couldn't find anything (but one) questions about this because it's bugging me quite a bit haha.

We have a WordPress website installed in a folder that is password protected from a .htpasswd in apache.
Every time we try to visit this website we have to fill in a user and password (which is by design, of course).
But I have to do this manually because 1password does not recognises the user/pass input fields from the Google Chrome (and Firefox) as an auto-fill form.

This happens both on Mac and on Windows (checked with a co-worker) on both Chrome and Firefox.

https://res.cloudinary.com/comsi-rtv/image/upload/v1574156652/1Password/htpasswd.png

Am I missing something, or... are you missing something? :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: 10.15 (19A602)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ronaldt!

I think this is happening because the login window is actually happening in a popup. If I remember correctly, 1Password cannot fill in these scenarios, so you are probably not missing anything :)

However, I have one question for you: if you click on the username field, does the little 1Password icon appear to the right of the text field?

• Ronaldt
    Ronaldt
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana :)

Nope, there is no icon in the text field.

Come to think of it, that is probably my problem at the most basic level.
    When the login pop-up is open I can still open the browser extension and press the [autofill] button, which logges me in quite easily I must admit.

I guess it "feels" broken to me because of;

• It doesn't show the text field icons
    • It doesn't show the pop-under list of usernames to choose from for that domain
    • It doesn't auto-populate like browsers sometimes do (when saving passwords in the browser)
    • When I search for the website via the browser extension and press the [go] button, it doesn't fill in the login pop-up like it normally does, it just shows an empty login form

Have a look yourself at https://comsi.nl/1password with u+p set to: test

• Ronaldt
    Ronaldt
    Community Member

I tested this some more with my coworkers, but on Windows it doesn't seem to work (both Chrome and Firefox).
    Should I open a new discussion on the Windows board for this?

• cecelia
    edited November 2019

Hey there @Ronaldt! Thanks for all the testing and clarification. 1Password should have no trouble "filling" basic HTTP auth for the most part, but unfortunately there isn't currently a way to insert our inline menu components into those fields. When you say it doesn't work on Windows, do you mean filling doesn't work at all or just that the inline menu doesn't appear?

• Ronaldt
    Ronaldt
    Community Member

Hi @cecilia,

Yeah, I guess those browser login windows are different than webforms in HTML. It makes sense those can't be styled.

On Windows;

• In Firefox the browser login window blocks all other interaction with the browser. You can fill in the fields and press [ok] or [cancel], but you can't click on the browser extension-icon for example. If you do, the browser login window "pops" for a second, illustrating that is the only thing you can do at that point.

• In Chrome the 1password extension icon can be clicked while the browser login window is open. The inline menu opens just fine, you can also search for a login-item and click the button to fill the form... then the inline menu closes but other than that nothing happens. No credentials are being filled the form.

Hope that illustrates it a bit better.

PS can you please send that awesome doggo over in the mail perhaps?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the summary! Indeed, while it's possible to open 1Password X in Chrome when faced with an HTTP basic auth prompt to have it resubmit the request to the page with he credentials, in Firefox the UI is blocked completely so you'd need to open 1Password X before going to the site to have it Open & Fill instead from the start. Cheers! :)

• cecilia
    cecilia
    Community Member

Wrong @cecelia.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.