1Password icons don't work

This might be tied to my having just upgraded today to macOS 10.15.1 from v10.14.6, but I'm not sure. I have an icon for 1Password in the toolbar of Safari (latest version), but when I click on it to be able to generate a new password on a website, it does nothing. Also, I have the icon for 1Password in the top Menu bar, but when I click on that, it also does nothing. I can open the 1Password app, but it's not (seemingly) able to generate a new password for me for the PayPal site. So I'm stymied. Help, please?

I checked on your site, but couldn't find a solution to this problem. I don't know that I've ever had it before today, when I went to Catalina.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: 7.4.1
OS Version: OS 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@Dennis Fahringer

Silly question possibly, but have you tried a restart of the Mac? I can recall when I didn't have to try that. Yep I am giving my age here lol

Also, check the Safari preferences and make sure you only have the browser extension that comes bundled with the 1Password application installed and not any older versions.

• Dennis Fahringer
    Dennis Fahringer
    Community Member

Yes, I've tried restarting. That didn't solve the problem. As far as I can tell, I do have the latest 1Password extension for Safari. As of today, yours is the only reply I've seen here. I'm no unable to launch my 1Password app on that iMac (no problem on my laptop) because it says that the app is not in the Applications folder. But in fact, it is (and has been) in the Applications folders. So I'm still stymied. I'd understood from this site that the forum was a good place to get quick help. But I haven't seen that help yet. :-)

• Dennis Fahringer
    Dennis Fahringer
    Community Member

That means I can't use 1Password (today) at all since it won't launch. And I depend on this app a lot.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@Dennis Fahringer

Off the top of my head a few other questions that may or may not have an impact? But it could give the staff some insight when they arrive on the scene.

1. Are you the admin for the particular iMac? Or possibly running it with a standard account? When you say, it is in the applications folder is that the "OS" /Applications or possibly a "user" ~/Applications folder?

2. One other thing, you state you're using iCloud in your opening post here. Are you using that? Because a few posts a year or so ago indicate Dropbox? It's entirely possible you changed.

I have a theory that might explain the issue if it is indeed Dropbox your using. It doubt it would be related to iCloud sync.
    The reason I am asking and I am wondering out loud here, New privacy requirements in Catalina might be blocking 1P from accessing that data on Dropbox.

Are you able to make any changes and have the data sync to the other Mac? For example, a new secure note, etc.. If any changes are syncing to the other Macs then this is likely not the issue. You would likely want to make sure data is syncing both ways with a test note.

• Dennis Fahringer
    Dennis Fahringer
    Community Member

@thightower

Thanks for your reply. (I tweeted to @1Password today, but haven't seen any reply there.)

1/ Yes, I'm the admin for the iMac. I have an admin, not standard account. The 1Password app is in the Applications folder on the root directory of my boot drive, not in the Applications folder under my User.

2/ My vault is set up to synch via iCloud. (I use it on my MacBook Pro, office iMac and iPhone.) I no longer use Dropbox. Syncing (and other functions of 1Password) on my iMac was fine until I upgraded yesterday to Catalina, macOS 10.15.1. I don't see any problems running 1Password on my laptop (also on Catalina 10.15.1) and iPhone, only on my iMac--since upgrading yesterday. I can't confirm the iCloud sync on my iMac since I can't launch 1Password without the error message about 1Password not being in the Applications folder. (And it is there.)

Because I can't even launch 1Password today on my iMac, I can't do anything with test notes to my laptop or phone.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

That's ok, since your using iCloud, that makes my theory mute. Oh well, though I was onto something there for a minute. At this point, I think you are out of my area of help. :(

My best to you, I am sure they will be along soon.

• Dennis Fahringer
    Dennis Fahringer
    Community Member

I'm now getting help via the 1Password Twitter account, but thanks for your comments!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dennis Fahringer: I'm sorry for the trouble. I've located the email you sent and will get back to you there shortly.

ref: JGB-32693-238

This discussion has been closed.