To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to set licence key in 1Password?

Options
Vol54
Vol54
Community Member

I am reinstalling 1Password 6 on an external drive on my Mac. I have managed to import the data from the old installation, but the licence is showing as "trial mode". How do I set the licence key which I paid for some time ago?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi @Vol54,

1Password does not support being run from an external drive. It needs to be installed in the /Applications folder on the primary drive to function properly. And there should only ever be one copy of the 1Password application on any given computer. As for the license situation, if you have a valid license for the version you're installing, you'd double click on the license file. That'll license the application.

Ben

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

The external drive is now the primary drive. This is to improve general performance. Where will I find the licence file?

• Ben
    Options

@Vol54

Gotcha!

When you purchased the license the license file would've been emailed to you.

Ben

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

I have used 1Password for Mac since 2015. I recently reinstalled macOS (and all apps including 1Password) on an external drive, for improved performance. (I have since uninstalled 1Password from the old hard drive.) I had to download and install the trial version of 1Password 6 for this exercise. The trial has now expired and the app is frozen.

What I want is:

(a) the latest version (i.e. 7), and
    (b) a stand-alone app (no passwords stored in Cloud), and
    (c) a 1-off payment, not monthly subscription.

Is that possible? If not, forget (a).

What are my options? (I have a licence file.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54: "Frozen" sounds like you signed up for a 1Password membership. The only way to unfreeze that is to setup a subscription. Otherwise you'd need to setup the version of 1Password you paid for without an account using the license you purchased. If you setup 1Password 7 with a standalone vault -- no account -- you'll have the option to purchase right there in the app, from the "read only" notice, to remove the restriction.

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that, buddy.

I uninstalled 1Password 6 and installed 1Password 7. Still frozen.

I clicked on the "Your 1Password account is frozen" notice at the top and I got a box saying "1Password Account Frozen" ... "Update Billing Information" (button).

I clicked on the latter and got a box saying "Billing" "Your account is frozen" "Subscribe now to keep your account active."

What do I do next to set up a stand-alone vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54: Right. If you are using a 1Password membership account but haven't paid for it, it will be frozen. Where do you have your 1Password data currently?

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

On SSD drive, apparently at ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨alan⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨1Password 4.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54:

That is where your data is stored locally, but I believe Brenty meant where is your current sync location (i.e. iCloud, Dropbox, 1Password.com etc). Are you syncing your data somewhere?

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

No.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54:

Perfect, then you can remove your frozen 1Password account from the app (from 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab) and purchase a license for 1Password 7 directly within the app. If your data is not synced anywhere and only lives on your computer (and on no other device, including mobile devices), that is all you will need to do.

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

I am beginning to wonder why I use this product ...

You say "remove your frozen 1Password account from the app (from 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab)". I see nothing on that tab that allows me to remove the account. What next?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54:

Please click on the "-" button in the bottom left corner of the settings window to remove your account from the app.

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

This is pathetic ...

I have purchased a licence, downloaded and installed 1P7, and it is still freezing my account.

How do I get access to my own vault using software that I have (wisely or not) just purchased, please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vol54: As I mentioned last week, a 1Password account is part of a membership subscription, and if you haven't paid for that, it will be frozen. There's no way around that. As we've suggested multiple times, if you don't want to pay for the account, and prefer to use the license instead, you'll need to stop using the account and use 1Password as a "standalone" app with a local vault. A 1Password membership account without an active subscription will be frozen and read-only. If you'd prefer the membership, I'll be happy to help you switch to that; otherwise you should not use that but rather the standalone license you paid for. If you moved your data to the 1Password membership account for some reason, you'd need to move it to a "standalone" local vault instead, and sign out of the account as Ana suggested. Where do you have your 1Password data currently?

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

I hope my data is on my own disk, exclusively. I am alarmed to think that it is anywhere else. If you have reason to think that it is on your servers, please deleted it immediately.

As I have explained multiple times, I have been a stand-alone user since 2015, and in October 2019 I took up a trial subscription as part of a disk change-over – expecting to be able to upgrade to a stand-alone licence shortly after.

I have a .1pif file that contains, I hope, all my data.

Will you stop lecturing me on things that I know already, and sort out this mess for me?

If my password data was transferred to your servers at any point, I WAS NOT TOLD – and I should have been.

• Ben
    Options

@Vol54

You need to follow these instructions, please:

https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/

If you have difficulties doing so please let us know which step you're having trouble with, and what happens instead of what is expected / described in the guide. Once complete you can delete your subscription membership that you signed up for:

How to delete your 1Password account

Ben

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

I have migrated to stand-alone.

When I tried to delete the vault (rather than the whole account) via my internet account, I got a box reading (since I apparently can't upload image):

Personal
    Your default vault for storing items.
    Edit Details
    Open Vault
    Safe for Travel
    Turn on to keep this vault on devices during travel.

I was expecting to see "More Actions ... Delete Vault" under "Open Vault". Why not?

• Ben
    Options

@Vol54

Why not?

Because you can't delete the Personal vault in an account. You'd have to delete the account instead.

Ben

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Will delete account.

Reassure me that I will still be able to use 1Password 7 to access my stand-alone vault after doing so, please.

The statement on your website "you’ll no longer be able to sign in to 1Password.com or in the 1Password apps" suggests that the 1Password app will not work after deleting the account.

• Ben
    Options

The statement on your website "you’ll no longer be able to sign in to 1Password.com or in the 1Password apps" suggests that the 1Password app will not work after deleting the account.

This is in reference to signing in with your 1Password.com account. Once it is deleted, you cannot sign in with it any longer.

OK. Will delete account.
    Reassure me that I will still be able to use 1Password 7 to access my stand-alone vault after doing so, please.

Accounts and standalone are two totally separate things. You do not need an account in order to use 1Password standalone: you need a license (which you've said you have).

Ben

• Vol54
    Vol54
    Community Member
    Options

Done.

Now, can you assure me that my password data has been completely removed from your system?

If not, please erase it as soon as possible.

Alan W

• Ben
    Options

@Vol54

Done.

Great! :+1:

Now, can you assure me that my password data has been completely removed from your system?

We're unable to look up or make changes to anyone's 1Password account based on a request in this public forum, but if you'd like you can reach out to support@1password.com with any account specific questions.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.