Suggestions coming from Mac/Windows to Linux

Hi there,

I've previously used 1Password on the Mac and Windows and am using Linux (Ubuntu) now. While I love 1Password X there are a couple of things that take way too much time (compared to the local installs). Allow me to outline these:

1. On each restart of the browser 1password X is locked. I understand that this is most likely done for security, but I wish there would be a setting for this. As I already have a whole disk encryption and need to sign in with username and password to my OS, it's just an additional step. As a background, I use 4 different browsers for testing and restart them several times during a day. Each time entering the password takes time, i.e., I'm almost contemplating to use a simple password for 1password, but that would defeat the purpose :)

2. Adding new login or updates. Adding a login takes me to the web version each time. Also 1Password X does currently not recognize a password change. Hence, each time, I need to change the password I need to search for the login in 1Password X, click on "edit", this then open 1Password Web, paste the new password, click on "save"... Just a lot of steps.

3. Password generator. If there is a password field, 1Password X offers me one unique password. There is no button to open the password generator or create another one. Only option is to open 1Password X, click on "new" (strange for the password generator), click on password generator. Also, if I enter the password, it prompts me to save the new login and does not recognize an existing login (see above)

Please know that I totally love 1Password X. I think it's awesome and most likely the future of your product. I just wish we would have a bit more customization option for it to make working with it more smooth.

Thank you for a great product.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Ubuntu 19.10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hey, @Thenitai! First I want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and those kind words. I love 1Password X too and really enjoy hearing about it when others do too. :)

1. I know how you feel — I do a lot of testing and browser swapping and end up unlocking 1Password X a lot throughout my day. Currently this behavior is unavoidable on Linux since rather than locking upon browser quit, 1Password X launches in a locked state and it completely lives in the browser, so as soon as you quit the browser, you're essentially quitting 1Password X as well. That said, we're always looking for ways to make 1Password easier and more convenient to use while still keeping security first. In the meantime, you can adjust the lock settings for it so it never automatically locks, making it so 1Password X will stay open as long as your browser stays open. However, if you quit the browser and relaunch it, you're quitting and relaunching 1Password X as well, which will result in requiring your Master Password to unlock.
    2. Though we also have plans for this for the future, there isn't currently a way to fully create or edit an item directly within the pop-up. You can always save a Login item and change a password from the inline menu, though. To add a new item, navigate to a site you have an account on, populate the fields in the login form, then choose the option in the inline menu to "Save in 1Password." If the option isn't already present, click the "3 dots" then Save Login.

As for 1Password X not recognizing a password change - do you mean that it doesn't recognize that a form is a change password form? We should be detecting those forms so if there's a site we're not recognizing a change password form on, can you send us the URL so we can do some investigating?

1. If you go to a change password form on a site and fill a generated password from the inline menu (or using the Autofill button in the pop-up's password generator) into the new password fields, a "save dialog" will open, ideally offering to update your Login item. If it offers to save a new login rather than update an existing one, you can click the "arrows" next to where the dialog reads Save New Login and switch to Update Saved Login. You can then choose the appropriate login to update from the "saved logins" dropdown. If it's not too much trouble, please let us know if you come across sites that don't behave as expected in this regard as well, so we can work on a fix.

I hope that helps. Thanks for being an awesome 1Password user! <3

• Thenitai
    Thenitai
    Community Member

Thank you for your comments.

On 1) I believe this could be solved with a small local daemon that runs on startup. Sort of like a local 1Password. You would just sign in one time and when the browser starts up it could check if the daemon is running and the user is signed in. I know, Linux is probably a minority of your users or even the ones that use 1Password X, so I guess this will stay a dream :)

Regarding saving, honestly, I've never seen those small "arrows" where I can change "Save new login" to "Update login". Will look for it the next time.

Cheers.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Thenitai – Thanks again for the valuable feedback. We truly appreciate it! ❤️

If there's anything else we can answer for you, don't hesitate to ask.

This discussion has been closed.