Markdown Display in Browsers and Windows

I added a note in Markdown format to one of my vaults. It displays nicely on my Mac App. But when I view the entry in a browser, the note fields shows raw Markdown instead of rendered Markdown. Is that by design?

If I install the 1Password Firefox plugin and view the entry using the plugin's dropdown, the Markdown does render as expected. But I'm concerned that not everyone in my organization will opt for the plugin. Most others on my team use Windows workstations.

If this is something coming later for Windows, that's fine. Otherwise, I might reconsider making liberal use of Markdown.

Paul

Comments

• Hi @pglezen,

Could you please clarify what you mean by this:

when I view the entry in a browser

Do you mean you're viewing the item in the 1Password.com web interface? If so that is currently correct -- the web interface doesn't support markdown rendering, yet. That doesn't have anything to do with Windows / 1Password for Windows though. It would be true on any platform. I do believe the intention is to support rendering markdown in the web interface in the future. I'll add a note to that request that you'd appreciate support for it.

Ben

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hello @pglezen,

Just to add to what Ben has already said, we still need to add support to both the web interface and 1Password for Windows. Support for markdown rendering is currently only in 1Password for Mac, 1Password for iOS and the 1Password X standalone extension.

What I hope you find is that the markdown when rendered correctly makes notes much nicer, that if a client doesn't support it yet that it doesn't impair the actual note that much, it's partly why we went for markdown because even viewing it as straight text it's still serviceable.

• pglezen
    pglezen
    Community Member

Hi Guys,

Yes, you understood me correctly, even though I wasn't clear. I noticed Markdown wasn't being rendered in a browser (unless I used the plugin). So I asked a colleague with a Windows machine and 1Password App to check. Indeed, the Windows app rendered raw just as the browser did.

As noted, a principal goal of Markdown is to look fine even when displayed raw. However, raw Markdown often benefits from a monospace font; variable space tends to make commands and RSA keys in ASCII armor format messier. It's still usable, though.

Thanks for noting my +1 for Markdown support across platforms.

Paul

• I'm glad to hear it's not too disruptive, @pglezen. I work a lot in markdown, so this is definitely something I'm looking forward to as well. Hopefully we both get some goodies before too long. :chuffed:

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

From @ben's post:

I'll add a note to that request that you'd appreciate support for it.

Please add my:

• +1 for 1Password Online
    • +1 for 1Password for Windows

And:

• THANK YOU for 1Password for Mac
    • THANK YOU for 1Password for iOS
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SoKal - we don't really do a specific, dedicated voting system so there's no way to "officially" +1 something, but we definitely do pay attention to the feedback we receive. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and glad you like 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. :)

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Just chiming in to "add my vote" in one of the threads regarding support for markdown on Windows, or really, all platforms.

I read something in another thread where you mentioned that you are in the middle of a lengthy process of getting feature parity between all of the platforms, and that from then on all platforms should get the latest and greatest features at the same time. While I'm obviously looking forward to that, it also seems like a huge project that'll take years to complete, and hopefully we'll get our beloved markdown support before that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Backspaze - we are indeed working toward greater parity and uniformity between our various native applications, though they won't ever be 100% identical because we write native code on each platform, instead of something like a Java or Electron app, and therefore there will always be discrepancies due to differences in platform interface guidelines, OS, etc. I'm not sure I agree it'll take "years to complete" this process, partly because it's a process that won't ever be truly "finished" since things keep evolving and changing, but regardless, we're looking forward to Markdown support in the 1Password for Windows application as much as you are. Thanks for letting us know.

• hiro5id
    hiro5id
    Community Member

I am also looking for markdown support across clients and the web interface.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@hiro5id, thank you for chipping in!

We take steps towards more consistency across platforms, but it takes time. Especially on Windows, where we have a lot of catching up to do first. :)

Thank you for letting us know!

Cheers,
    Greg

• hiro5id
    hiro5id
    Community Member

Understood. My personal priority is just the web interface. Because it is the most accessible across any platform regardless of operating system.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@hiro5id: Thank you for your feedback! :chuffed: I will forward your suggestions to our team.

Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always ready to answer questions about 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.